Batch Watermarking & Adding Copyright with Photoshop

This photoshop tutorial will show you how you can easily add transparent watermark and copyright info to a whole folder of photos.

transparent watermark

NOTE: If you just want to apply watermark to a photo, you can skip step 1, 8 and 9

Step 1) Open your image, go to your actions pallete and create a new action. I’d call it ‘watermark’.

transparent watermark

Step 2) Now create a new layer, choose custom shape tool and click on the copyright sign.

transparent watermark

Step 3) Draw a black copyright sign on your image.

transparent watermark

Step 4) Apply emboss filter to your copyright sign ( filter> stylize>emboss).

transparent watermark

Step 5)
Change your layer mode to hard light.

transparent watermark

Step 6) Now choose Horizontal Type Tool from your Tool Pallete, and write anything you want to say under your big copyright sign. Repeat step 4 & 5 to your text. Here’s mine:

transparent watermark

Step 7) To embed a copyright note go to file>file info to bring up the file info dialog. This is where you enter information that you want embedded into the file itself.

transparent watermark

Step 8 ) When you’re done, click on the stop icon at the bottom of the Actions Pallete.

transparent watermark

Step 9) The last step, go to file>automate>batch (or from adobe bridge, go to tools>photoshop>batch). Choose your actions’s name and click on ‘Choose’ to choose your folder full of photos, then under ‘Destination’ choose ‘Save and Close’. This will apply the watermark, and copyright info to your images and then save and close the documents.

transparent watermark

62 Responses to “Batch Watermarking & Adding Copyright with Photoshop”

1. Winifred says:

Obviously this is for the latest version of PS. I only have CS4. Any suggestions besides the old way of adding a layer and then having to do the same routine every photo without writing a script?

2. SinthiaV says:

I’m working on an online catalog for my designs, and I am grateful for the embossing idea. It is perfect for what I’m doing. My celtics take forever to do. It took years to learn. It would frustrate me to no end to see them being used without my permission!
    I know it won’t stop them if they are determined, but this will make it harder while still letting real customers see the design underneath. I am working much too hard to just hand it to them! At least this way they have to work at it.
    Thanks a million!

3. Charlie says:

Very useful!
    Thank you for this post!

4. Ben says:

Hi, Great site. I am batteling to set up a watermark for my photos. I cannot find the actions pallet. PLEASE HELP

5. @Ben, Click the Windows-Actions menu item and the Actions panel will appear.

6. Excellent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you’re just too wonderful. I really like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it wise. I cant wait to read much more from you. This is actually a terrific site.

7. Sine says:

Got it all to work, except it now gives me a warning “this type layer must be rasterized before proceeding” when I try to emboss. It’s kind of annoying to have to click that every time when you batch process – what did I do wrong to get that warning?

8. Ricky says:

Hi guys.
    I made this 4th try without any success.
    When I execute the batch or the action with a single opened photo, I get this message:

The object “style “Shape 1 style”” is not currently available.

Can anybody help me?
    Thank you very much.

9. Michel says:

It’s hard to find well-informed people on this subject, however, you sound like you know what you’re talking
    about! Thanks

10. flo says:

Thnx for this tutorial, but I still have a problem. I don’t see ‘tutorial’ at ‘actions’ only default actions or in a sub cat ‘wood frame’ ‘cast shadow’ and so on.

ANy idea?

11. Debi says:

Thanks this was very useful. Never bothered for years as I was only uploading to FB. But now my blog has full sized images and are being seen by people other than my friends.