Batch Watermarking & Adding Copyright with Photoshop

This photoshop tutorial will show you how you can easily add transparent watermark and copyright info to a whole folder of photos.

transparent watermark

NOTE: If you just want to apply watermark to a photo, you can skip step 1, 8 and 9

Step 1) Open your image, go to your actions pallete and create a new action. I’d call it ‘watermark’.

transparent watermark

Step 2) Now create a new layer, choose custom shape tool and click on the copyright sign.

transparent watermark

Step 3) Draw a black copyright sign on your image.

transparent watermark

Step 4) Apply emboss filter to your copyright sign ( filter> stylize>emboss).

transparent watermark

Step 5)
Change your layer mode to hard light.

transparent watermark

Step 6) Now choose Horizontal Type Tool from your Tool Pallete, and write anything you want to say under your big copyright sign. Repeat step 4 & 5 to your text. Here’s mine:

transparent watermark

Step 7) To embed a copyright note go to file>file info to bring up the file info dialog. This is where you enter information that you want embedded into the file itself.

transparent watermark

Step 8 ) When you’re done, click on the stop icon at the bottom of the Actions Pallete.

transparent watermark

Step 9) The last step, go to file>automate>batch (or from adobe bridge, go to tools>photoshop>batch). Choose your actions’s name and click on ‘Choose’ to choose your folder full of photos, then under ‘Destination’ choose ‘Save and Close’. This will apply the watermark, and copyright info to your images and then save and close the documents.

transparent watermark

Done!

See also: Photoshop Tutorials

RSS feed | Trackback URI

Comment by homer favenir
2006-03-17 02:19:05

good website…very helpful…just add video tutorials…tnx

Comment by CampinCarl
2006-03-18 08:32:12

wow, i think it is kinda kool! :D 7/10

Comment by Dan Sumption
2006-12-21 23:27:42

I’ve tried various ways of automating the watermarking of photos, but they always come out at different sizes and positions in different photos, depending on the photo size, orientation and resolution. Does anybody have a “one-size-fits-all” way of watermarking pictures?

Comment by Mindless Subscribed to comments via email
2011-06-07 05:18:48

I had the same problem with Photoshop always, that is why I use Batch Watermark Creator but if you align the copywrited sign in the middle after step 3, and do the same with the text to… you will get the sign and text in the middle on the different pics… but it’s not the perfect.

Comment by Tango Fox1
2007-02-22 01:53:13

I tried this action and it works great but is there a way to get rid of the rasterize dialogue boxes so that it just runs without stopping until the end without writing a script because I’m not good at coding.

Comment by SToivari Subscribed to comments via email
2007-08-21 23:49:09

Hi all.

Tango Fox1, if You have allready made action, You can add rasterize command just after that Make fill layer command. Select Make fill layer and select from Actions menu (small round blue button) Insert Menu Item… and select from menu Layer – Rasterize – Layer. Klik ok and it’s ready. If new command went in wrong place just drag it with mouse to right place. I made two of these. One for landscape and second for portrait pictures.

ps. Sorry my english.

Comment by Apolloking
2008-12-23 09:55:33

Thanks, those rasterize popup were very frustrating. As I am new to the photoshop action, it took me a while to find the ad menu.. But in the end it worked. I had to move around the added menu int eh action to make it work.

Comment by Peter
2007-09-01 08:02:39

Great tutorial, everything worked out fine, well displayed and your English is fine, understandable anyway, does what it says on the can.

Comment by StiĆ¹bhard
2007-09-07 12:57:06

Thanks!

2008-05-25 02:36:01

Thank you so much for the excellent tutorial.

This works so much easier than some of the other methods I’ve tried.

All the best,

Elizabeth

Comment by rainman
2008-09-22 05:39:40

wow!!! Thankssss! Interesting to know, but i ussually do this in special programm. It is easier)

Comment by Apolloking
2008-12-23 09:58:41

This is a great tutorial.. Thanks!

As a photographer, I have been adding layers manually to write text and this is exactly what I wanted to learn the visual helps a lot.

The only thing I ahve not figured out is that my action works BUT I noticed that I may have to move the text to different place depending on the photographs. Not sure if I have to create a new action acript or make the changes in the current script. The watermarks I created do,t seem to be in the right place and the C for copywrite is to big.

Other then that , I really want to thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Comment by fleetingbeauty
2008-12-31 12:23:57

I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong. I’m using CS4, I’m following these directions precisely but when I automate-batch all of my photos become embossed. Any ideas?

Comment by Hornett
2009-01-20 08:11:45

it sounds ln your actions you have allowed the Emboss to be applied to the whole photo and not the selected water mark. try deleting the emboss command and re inserting the action.

Comment by Invest Money Lab
2009-01-02 08:43:10

Cool… this is great… thanks for the detailed step by step guide!

Comment by Anwar A
2009-01-27 06:11:18

Great tutorial, i’ve just used it and it’s very easy and helpful.

Thanks a lot

Comment by stoltzy Subscribed to comments via email
2009-02-05 21:28:33

Is there a way that the picture can be save in jpeg
instead of psd automatically.

thanks

Comment by Sofia
2009-04-29 11:21:36

After step 7, before stopping the action in step 8, flatten the image (layer>flatten image) and then go to step 8. Hope this helps.

Comment by sahil
2009-06-01 01:35:37

Great tutorial, everything worked out fine,

Comment by Shannon Subscribed to comments via email
2009-06-16 12:14:03

Once you create the watermarks on a batch of photos how do you remove them from the same batch in order to restore to original condition or does this need to be done indiviually in photoshop?

Comment by Amardeep Yadav
2009-08-13 00:25:23

Thanks Thanks and Thanks ! Best n easy tutorial, I have just used it and It is very easy and helpful.

Thanks,
Amardeep Yadav
Internet Marketing Manager
+919811550525

2009-09-06 13:45:31

Hi
just used the tutorial but can anyone please let us know how to stop the the ‘j.peg options box’ when saving the image, so it saves and closes without asking the size…?

this takes up alot of time and would like to know how to do it without having to select okay 500 times..

thank you.x

Comment by Joy
2009-10-15 14:28:24

I recorded “Save As” and “Close” into actions…

It works!!!

Comment by Joy
2009-10-15 14:26:54

I was searching for solution to automate water mark and copyright manipulation… This is the best example…

I did add the “Layer—>Rasterize—>Layer” to the actions. It works smooth…

Thanks for the article!!!

Joy

Comment by Karol
2009-10-24 02:00:24

I hope this never leaves the world wide web. I’ve had to rely on this more than once. Thanks so much. This is a great tutorial.

2010-01-05 08:09:16

This is a great tip, you can also the Alt and G in the add text section to add a copyright symbol, then enlarge it to what ever size you need around 96 point is fine. I also faded the layer to 49% it makes the watermark a little softer.

Thanks again for the top tip and tutorial.
Simeon Lloyd
professional Photographer

Comment by Angel Torres
2010-01-14 16:01:12

Just the best tool for watermarking…thnx a lot for the tut and coments, they were very very helpful.

thnx a lot.

Comment by Tammy
2010-01-17 18:44:42

Thanks for sharing – this was very helpful!

Tammy

Comment by Belen
2010-02-02 21:11:15

DO the photos need to be saved in RAW?

Thanks,

Belen

Comment by Matt Wilson Subscribed to comments via email
2010-02-03 12:50:33

To everyone asking about having the watermark automatically centralised, I’ve figured out a workaround. In the action do the watermark creation as a brand new image about 500×400 pixels. Rasterize both layers, select the transparency channel and copy. Then close the image and paste it in to the destination image. This will put it in the centre regardless of being landcsape or portrait. Now turn the layer to Hard Light, flatten image and it will save as part of the batch process. Much quicker. Hope this is easy to understand.

Comment by Zoltan
2010-02-06 22:21:39

Thanks very much! One of the best watermark tutorials out there! Very easy to follow.

Comment by Amie B. Subscribed to comments via email
2010-02-07 21:38:53

Great tutorial, thank you very much.

I use photoshop on one computer but the printer I use doesn’t accept photoshop documents so they NEED to be jpeg or it’s a lot of wasted effort (as I’ve just now realized after working two hours on the pictures I’m editing).

Is there a way to save all the items as .jpg instead of photoshop files in the automated method?

Thanks again!

Comment by Longknife21 Subscribed to comments via email
2011-06-21 21:03:27

Two options:
Comment by Sofia
2009-04-29 11:21:36

Alternatively, what I did:
(Make sure the photograph you are using is a duplicate file – you should always save your Originals somewhere else than your Edits anyway, because Raw take is a record of your shoot just as much as Edited take.) At the end of the action, after the Add File Info activity, start with your top layer in the layers dialog and Merge Layers, Merge Layers, Merge Layers – three x Merge Layers (down) and this will then superimpose the text and image on top of your duplicate file – and coincidentally, will also allow the Save & Close command to save it as JPEG.

Comment by Ashish Jain
2010-04-11 05:54:47

Awesome for beginners like me ! Thanks a heaps :)

Comment by Amie B. Subscribed to comments via email
2010-04-13 15:14:31

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong regarding the rasterize command but when I try to add it to the action, I can’t. I select the Make fill layer and follow the directions in the comment above, but when it comes to Layer>rasterize>layer, my ‘rasterize’ option isn’t available.

Comment by Francis Subscribed to comments via email
2010-04-21 03:39:28

This is a very very helpful tutorial.

Using this tutorial as my guide, i made my procedure in batch watermaking my photos.

1. Open your photo.
2. Create/Record New Action, here where I created my personalized watermarks, then “save as” it as a “copy” jpeg file and then close the file “without” creating a PSD file.
3. Stop recoding.
4. Do Step 9 of the tutorial except under “Destination” choose “none”
5. Press Ok.

What will this do is to open a file from the specified folder, put your personalized watermarks, save a copy jpeg file, close the file without creating a PSD and then proceed to the next file.

Hope this will work to you, as it works very well to me.

Comment by Nik Amatulli
2010-04-21 19:51:19

I wanted to know how to do this but on Lightroom if anyone knows…thank you

Comment by yogesh
2010-05-25 15:14:23

Thanks for same.
I have just applied the above steps but after automateing the batch the size of Photo has increased to 42mb why? and now how to reduce to kbs or original normal size.

Please guide me ..

Regards

Yogesh.

Comment by Anne
2010-06-08 17:34:51

Great tutorial, but… What if you wanted to use an image instead of text or a copyright shape?

Thanks,
A.

Comment by Saqib Designs
2010-07-23 10:09:16

Nice tutorial.. simple to follow and good result… simply nice..

keep up good work :)

Comment by alikelystory
2010-10-05 04:59:37

Thank you! Finally, a tutorial I can follow that actually works.

Cheers!

Comment by alovato Subscribed to comments via email
2010-10-10 15:39:57

This section really hit home, The best way for me to place a transparent watermark on my artwork. Cheers

Andre

Comment by Rich Subscribed to comments via email
2010-10-17 15:22:42

WoW!!! Thank you so much…. Easy to follow!! Very helpful for a newbie.

Comment by uday
2010-11-13 09:40:00

Thanks a ton for this tutorial!

It is very helpful for beginners in Photoshop!

Comment by Muzaffar
2010-11-14 14:59:35

Excellent! Such a nice and easy steps.
Thank you.

Comment by CJ Subscribed to comments via email
2010-11-23 21:41:15

How long does this usually take because i followed your steps and its been going for like 30+ min

Comment by Ben Tucker Subscribed to comments via email
2011-02-13 05:06:54

Great guide! popped a link to it on my website hope you dont mind :)

Ben

Comment by florin
2011-04-07 01:04:03

For batch photo watermarking you can use this application: http://bstdownload.com/reviews/batch-photo-watermark-2/

Comment by Sayan Sengupta
2011-04-24 00:13:37

Really helpful article! Thanks a lot Dphotojournal team!

Sayan

Comment by Jay
2011-05-28 02:07:07

Thanks so much for this, I used this tutorial about a year ago and have since transferred to Mac, thus losing all of my previously saved bookmarks. I just spent half an hour googling to find this. You are a lifesaver :-)

Comment by Winifred
2011-06-24 09:41:39

Obviously this is for the latest version of PS. I only have CS4. Any suggestions besides the old way of adding a layer and then having to do the same routine every photo without writing a script?

Comment by Ivan

Comment by SinthiaV
2011-07-11 10:13:43

I’m working on an online catalog for my designs, and I am grateful for the embossing idea. It is perfect for what I’m doing. My celtics take forever to do. It took years to learn. It would frustrate me to no end to see them being used without my permission!
I know it won’t stop them if they are determined, but this will make it harder while still letting real customers see the design underneath. I am working much too hard to just hand it to them! At least this way they have to work at it.
Thanks a million!

Comment by Charlie Subscribed to comments via email
2011-11-13 14:12:39

Very useful!
Thank you for this post!

Comment by Ben Subscribed to comments via email
2011-11-22 12:48:12

Hi, Great site. I am batteling to set up a watermark for my photos. I cannot find the actions pallet. PLEASE HELP

Comment by Visual Watermark
2011-11-24 05:53:32

@Ben, Click the Windows-Actions menu item and the Actions panel will appear.

2012-01-10 07:13:49

Excellent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you’re just too wonderful. I really like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it wise. I cant wait to read much more from you. This is actually a terrific site.

Comment by Sine
2012-04-20 01:54:52

Got it all to work, except it now gives me a warning “this type layer must be rasterized before proceeding” when I try to emboss. It’s kind of annoying to have to click that every time when you batch process – what did I do wrong to get that warning?

Comment by Ricky Subscribed to comments via email
2012-09-04 15:13:55

Hi guys.
I made this 4th try without any success.
When I execute the batch or the action with a single opened photo, I get this message:

The object “style “Shape 1 style”" is not currently available.

Can anybody help me?
Thank you very much.
Ricky.

Comment by Michel
2012-12-30 18:08:50

It’s hard to find well-informed people on this subject, however, you sound like you know what you’re talking
about! Thanks

Comment by flo
2013-02-11 05:34:20

Hi!
Thnx for this tutorial, but I still have a problem. I don’t see ‘tutorial’ at ‘actions’ only default actions or in a sub cat ‘wood frame’ ‘cast shadow’ and so on.

ANy idea?

Comment by Debi
2013-04-03 09:05:13

Thanks this was very useful. Never bothered for years as I was only uploading to FB. But now my blog has full sized images and are being seen by people other than my friends.