Last updated (10 August’10):
– Review by Alphamountworld
The Sony SAL-500F80 500mm f/8 Reflex features 500mm at focal length with maximum aperture of f/8. The lens construction has 7 elements in 5 groups and has diagonal angle of view at 5 degrees. Closest focusing distance at 13′ (4.0m) and has a filter size of 42mm. The Sony SAL-500F80 500mm f/8 Reflex lens weighs 1lb 7oz (665g) and it measures 3.5 inches in diameter and 5.5 inches long.
Overall Rating: | Latest Price Info
Sony SAL-500F80 500mm f/8 Reflex Reviews
Alphamountworld reviews the Sony SAL-500F80 500mm f/8 Reflex and writes;
“The Sony 500mm f8 Reflex lens is really a reviewers dream. It is so uncomplicated and of such good optical character ( as far as a lack of distortions and aberrations) it has left me with time for a lot of fun without having to get too technical in testing procedures at all.. I find that it renders color extremely well and I was always happy with the sharpness and contrast of the images.”
Luminous-landscape reviews the Sony SAL-500F80 500mm f/8 Reflex and writes;
“No, it’s not the sharpest 500mm in the world, but it is amazingly versatile, inexpensive, and when one learns its foibles and master its idiosyncrasies it’s an amazingly productive optic for the money..”
Kurtmunger reviews the Sony SAL-500F80 500mm f/8 Reflex and writes;
“The good points are; the frame is sharp from corner to corner, no color fringing, and very little (APS-C) light fall-off. This lens will provide much more detail when compared to the Sony 70-200mm F/2.8 with a 1.4x TC. That combination is very sharp..”
Sony SAL-500F80 500mm f/8 Reflex User Reviews
Very Good Lens – My doubts Were Unfounded! | Rating:
“..The auto focus is fast, although because of the mirror, in tight spots, has a tendency to hunt so I’ve selected the the tightest auto focus setting possible. It’s reduced the situation but not eliminated it. The lens is light enough for the reduced vibration of the Sony Alpha, it doesn’t exceed the limitation thus I really don’t need a tripod which is a big plus in bird photography.” – by T. Latham
Super Telephoto Lens | Rating:
“I bought this lens to take with me to Yellowstone National Park to get the pictures I missed last time. Especially for the wildlife. I have been testing it and was really surprised at the detail it shows. I use it with my Sony DSLR 100, and using “anti shake” I am able to shoot without a tripod.” – by Charles E., Kersey
terrific lens | Rating:
“I wasn’t able to get a teleconverter for the zoom lens I use, so decided to try the Sony SAL-500F80 500mm f/8 Reflex Super Telephoto Lens for Sony Alpha Digital SLR Camera. I am thrilled with it! It’s short, compact, lightweight, and easy to hand hold. I have been able to get very sharp pictures, even of flying birds, in bright light.” – by birdersc
Up Close and Focused | Rating:
“Three good attributes of this lens: excellent quality rapid auto focus and low f/#.. At high magnifications, good photos require no camera movement and precise focusing on subjects.” – by James M. Stewart
Sony SAL-500F80 500mm f/8 Reflex Sample Photos
– Sony SAL-500F80 500mm f/8 Reflex Sample Photos @ Mylensdb.com
– Sony SAL-500F80 500mm f/8 Reflex Sample Photos @ Pixel-peeper.com
– Sony SAL-500F80 500mm f/8 Reflex Sample Photos @ Pbase.com
– Sony SAL-500F80 500mm f/8 Reflex Sample Photos @ Flickr.com
– Sony SAL-500F80 500mm f/8 Reflex Sample Photos @ Amazon.com
Sony SAL-500F80 500mm f/8 Reflex User Manual
– Download Sony SAL-500F80 500mm f/8 Reflex User Manual (PDF – 344kb)
Sony SAL-500F80 500mm f/8 Reflex Specifications
The Sony SAL-500F80 is the world’s only super telephoto reflex lens with auto-focus capability. Its reflex design gives this amazing super telephoto lens a short barrel and compact, lightweight design, ideal for field work on wilderness and nature assignments–and its auto-focus capability makes it unique among reflex lenses of this class. Mounted on the Sony α (Alpha) DSLR-A100 camera, this lens provides a 750mm focal length (35mm equivalent)–and takes advantage of Sony’s in-camera Super SteadyShot image stabilization system to reduce blur by compensating for shaky hands.
* Compact Reflex Design: Its reflective optical system provides super-long telephoto performance in a compact, lightweight design that’s easier to carry on field assignments.
* Auto-Focus Operation: It’s the world’s only super telephoto reflex lens with auto-focus capability, making it ideal for wildlife assignments where events happen fast and you must react quickly to catch the shot.
* No Chromatic Aberration: Reflective optics eliminate the chromatic aberrations that can affect image quality in refractive telephoto lenses, so images are extremely sharp and clear.
* Focus Hold Button: For full creative control, a focus hold button located on the lens can lock auto-focusing.
* Shutter-speed Exposure Control: At fixed f8 aperture, the exposure is controlled by varying the camera shutter speed and using a neutral-density snap-on filter.
Sony DSLR-A100, DSLR-A100K.
What’s in the Box:
Lens, front and rear lens cap, SH0015 lens hood.