Sony has just announced the new stylish Cyber-shot™ DSC-N1 with 8.1 megapixel performance and internal memory that holds up to 500 VGA images for pocket album viewing. The camera will have a huge 3.0″1 LCD Monitor with Clear Photo LCD Plus technology provides touch-screen convenience for controlling camera functions and searching thumbnail images and Free Spot AF lets you focus on a subject by just touching it on screen.
>> REVIEWS (last update: 18.04.06)
Popular Photography reviewes the Sony DSC-N1 and wrote:
“The camera performed well in the lab, putting up good numbers in several categories. Resolution is Extremely High from ISO 64 to ISO 400, and Very High at ISO 800. Color Accuracy is High (Average Delta E: 10.54, ISO 64, Auto White Balance), Noise is Very Low at ISO 64 (1.4), Low at ISO 100 (1.75), Moderately Low at ISO 200 (2.37), Moderate at ISO 400 (2.66), and Moderately Low at ISO 800 (2.35)…”
Megapixel reviewed the Sony DSC N1 and wrote:
“The N1 yields images that are nothing short of excellent, especially when these are captured under full sun. The images show no sign of chromatic aberration, no barrel distortion with subjects at standard distances — a little bit of distortion is sometimes observable when the subject is shot in macro mode — and no pincushion distortion at the telephoto end. Sharpness is also excellent right across the frame, and is uniformly good irrespective of the focal length.
Positives: Excellent image quality, No noise at 64 and 100 ISO, Touch screen system, 3-inch LCD monitor, Fast to operate and responsive, Capable of long exposures.
Negatives: Touch screen keys should have presented the most commonly needed settings, Black monitor trim too reflective, Flash underpowered.”
Cameras.co.uk reviewed the Sony DSC N1 and wrote:
“The most striking feature of my test pictures are the vibrant colours the camera manages to produce. This is not just for greens and blues, but all colours are given the full treatment and appear very vivid. This augurs well for just about any type of photo you take.
Finally the macro photo is good. It is a bright and clear shot. This camera should be good enough for most types of macro shot within reason as long as the lighting available is adequate.”
Theano Nikitas reviewed the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-N1, gave it 6.6 out of 10 (Good) and wrote:
“The good: Three-inch touch-screen LCD; generally responsive performance; photo-album capabilities; point-and-select autofocus; decent high-ISO shooting.
The bad: All-menus-all-the-time touch-screen operation; no optical viewfinder; some purple fringing; lack of image details.
The bottom line: This camera isn’t for everybody, but its huge touch-screen LCD and photo-album display will certainly catch the eyes of those who want something a little out of the ordinary.”
– Sony Cyber-shot DSC-N1 sample photos gallery posted at DCRP
• Carry Hundreds of VGA Images in Your Pocket
The DSC-N1 combines compact design, 8.1 megapixel performance and pocket album function for sharing an entire collection of digital photos with family, friends, clients and co-workers.
• 8.1 Megapixel Super HAD™ CCD
Over 8 million pixels provide incredible high-resolution detail and definition — and Sony’s advanced 1/1.8” Super HAD (Hole Accumulated Diode) CCD design allows more light to pass to each pixel, increasing sensitivity and reducing noise.
• Carl Zeiss® 3X Optical/6X Digital Zoom
3X Optical Zoom helps the DSC-N1 bring distant subjects closer and lets you frame shots for better composition; Sony’s precision 6X Digital Zoom lets you enlarge image areas without jagged edges.
• High-Capacity Internal Memory
You can store and share up to 500 photo images at VGA resolution — and images can be viewed as thumbnails so you can easily search your photo archive by date/year.
• Slide Show with Music
The DSC-N1 lets you combine images in Slide Show sequence, adding any of 4 transition effects (simple, nostalgic, stylish or active) plus 4 kinds of background music — or viewing your Slide Show without music.
• Huge 3.0”1 LCD Monitor
A monitor big enough to make all your images come alive, with convenient touch-screen operation of camera functions as well as thumbnail image viewing for searching and editing photos. Sony’s Clear Photo LCD Plus design reduces reflection from the LCD surface for excellent visibility outdoors — and wide-angle viewing makes it easy to sharing images with a group of friends or family.
• Touch-Screen “Paint” Function
You can easily stamp information and trace letters or drawings over your photo images using the stylus supplied with the DSC-N1 — and your decorated images will be saved in VGA format without affecting your original photos.
• Free Spot AF
In addition to normal autofocus mode, the DSC-N1 lets you focus on a subject by just touching it on your LCD monitor — a fast and simple way to adjust focus for complex scenes or moving subjects.
• 26 MB2 Internal Memory
You can capture images in-camera, without using a flash memory card — or use optional Memory Stick Duo™ media for ultra-compact, high-capacity shooting and recording.
• Lithium Ion Rechargeable Battery
A high-stamina NP-FG1 Lithium Ion battery lets the DSC-N1 shoot up to 270 images1, giving you plenty of power when traveling or shooting on location.
• Quick Hookup to PC and TV
The optional UC-TNA Cyber-shot Station™ cradle provides USB connector for PC hookup and TV connector for viewing images on large screens — so when your DSC-N1 comes home, hookup can be quick and simple.
• Imaging Device: 1/1.8″ 8.1MP CCD
• Recording Media: Memory Stick®/Pro Duo
• Zoom: 3.8X / 4.8X / 7.7X / 15X Smart Zoom™ Feature (depending on resolution)
• Focal Length: 7.9 – 23.7 mm
• 35mm Equivalent: 38 – 114 mm
• Aperture: 3X, f2.8–5.4
• Focus: 5 area / Ctr selectable
• Minimum Focus Distance: 19.7″ (50 cm)
• Macro Focus Distance: 2.4″ (6 cm)
• Aperture Range: Auto, (f2.8-8W)/(f5.4-16T)
• Shutter Speed: 30sec-1/1000, 46 step
• Manual Exposure: ±2.0 EV, 1/3 EV Step
• LCD: 3″ 230K Pixel
• Eye-Level Finder: N/A
• Flash Modes: Auto/On/Slow Synch/Off
• Red-Eye Reduction: On/Off (all modes)
• Flash Effective Range: 0.6 – 16.4 ft, (0.2 – 5m)
• White Balance: Auto, 5-presets
• ISO: Auto, 160, 200, 400, 800
• Scene Modes: 8-preset select
• Still Image Modes: JPEG
• MPEG Movie Mode: VX Fine/Std, Video Mail
• Microphone / Speaker: N/A / N/A
• USB Terminal: Yes, Supports USB 2.0 High Speed1
• Recording Media:Memory Stick™ Duo, Memory Stick™ PRO Duo
• Battery Type/Capacity: Lithium Ion NP-BG1
• Supplied Software: N/A
• OS Compatibility: Microsoft® Windows® 98, 98SE, 2000 Professional, ME, XP Home and Professional; Macintosh® OS X (v 10.1.5 or later). OS must be installed at the factory.
Pages: 1 2