Last updated (12 August’10):
- Review by Kurtmunger
The Sony 300mm f/2.8 G Series features 300mm at focal length with maximum aperture of f/2.8. The lens construction has 13 elements in 12 groups and has diagonal angle of view at 8 degrees. Closest focusing distance at 79″ and has a filter size of 42mm. The Sony 300mm f/2.8 G Series lens weighs 5lbs 1oz (2300g) and it measures 4.8 inches in diameter and 9.53 inches long.
Overall Rating: | Latest Price Info
Sony 300mm f/2.8 G Series Reviews
Kurtmunger reviews the Sony 300mm f/2.8 G Series and writes;
“If you look closely, you may conclude that F/2.8 is a little soft, but if you go here, you’ll see that the Sony 300mm SSM G is sharper at F/2.8 than the Sony 70-300mm SSM G lens is at any aperture!! The Sony 300mm F/2.8 is stunningly sharp at F/4-5.6, and will put all other Sony lenses that provide 300mm to shame.”
Sony 300mm f/2.8 G Series User Reviews
The best lens in the Alpha line, and maybe the best in the world! | Rating:
“Overall, it is a great lens! The image quality is amazing and makes all the cons irrelevant – if you want the best picture, this is the price you have to pay!..” – by Timtim
Sony 300mm f/2.8 G Series Sample Photos
Sony 300mm f/2.8 G Series User Manual
- Download Sony 300mm f/2.8 G Series User Manual (PDF – 1.3Mb)
Sony 300mm f/2.8 G Series Specifications
For definitive long-shot precision and spectacular portraits even in low light, this professional G-Series lens raises the standard of DLSR performance. Its 35mm-equivalent 450mm focal length and ultra-bright f2.8 aperture combine for superb results in virtually any light–and its high-speed SSM (Super Sonic wave Motor) autofocus is fast, accurate, and quiet.
* SSM (Super Sonic wave Motor): A built-in lens motor for faster automatic focusing with high torque at low speed, quick start/stop response, and quiet, smooth operation.
* ED (Extra-low Dispersion) Glass: Three precision ED glass lenses correct chromatic aberrations to provide extremely sharp telephoto images distant subjects as well as dramatic sports close-ups.
* Internal Focusing System: Internal lens elements move, so the overall length does not change–creating an autofocus zoom lens that doesn’t affect the balance of your camera.
* 2 DMF (Direct Manual Focus) Modes: Allow you to quickly revert to Manual Focus by just turning the Manual Focus ring of the lens.
* Versatile Focus Hold: Four focus hold buttons in different lens locations, plus electronic slider focus range selector switch.
* Lightweight Design: A strong, light magnesium lens barrel makes shooting more comfortable even on long wildlife or sports assignments.
What’s in the box:
Lens, front and rear lens cap, SH0012 petal lens hood, lens carrying case
See also: Carl Zeiss/Sony | Lens Reviews