Last Update: Review by RegHardware (added on 27 July’07)
The Samsung S850 is a point-and-shoot digital camera (announced 08.01.07) featuring 8.1 million effective pixels, Advanced Shake Reduction, 5x optical zoom lens (38 – 190mm), Shutter speeds of up to 1/2000 sec, and a 2.5-inch TFT LCD screen. The Samsung S850 is measuring in at 104 x 63.6 x 24.8 mm , weighing 172 g and it’s running on 2x AA alkaline or NiMH battery.
Overall Rating: | Latest Price Info
Samsung S850 Reviews
RegHardware reviews the Samsung S850 and writes;
“The S850 has more advanced features than the Starship Enterprise. It’s just up to you to find them on the black-on-black control buttons.. the S850′s stabilising feature works a treat, but you have to make snappy choices when using WiseShot. ”
DigitalCameraReview reviews the Samsung S850 and writes;
“Overall, image quality was average. At first glance, colors are very saturated – to the point that they just don’t look natural anymore and contrast starts to get lost. Looking a litle closer, details are not that sharp… As far as noise performance, noise becomes noticeable at ISO 200 and just increases from there. For best results, stick to ISO 50 and 100. But, if you need to get the shot, then don’t let noise stop you!”
CNET reviews the Samsung S850 and writes;
“Noise begins to manifest as low as ISO 200, creeping up in the shadows. At ISO 400 the grain becomes quite recognizable on a computer monitor, though it goes unnoticed in 8×10 prints. ISO 800 photos predictably develop serious noise, and ISO 1,600 shots appear covered in heavy, detail-obscuring fuzz… The bottom line: As one of the least expensive cameras with manual exposure controls out there, the Samsung S850 is a great choice for photography newbies.”
Samsung S850 Samples
- Samsung S850 Sample Photos @ DigitalCameraReview
Samsung S850 User Manuals (PDF)
Samsung S850 Press Release
8 January 2007 – Samsung Cameras is pleased to introduce the Samsung S850 compact point-and-shoot digital camera. With an 8.0 mega-pixel image sensor, a host of advanced capabilities and a 5x optical zoom lens, the S850 is the ideal camera for photographers seeking a compact, full-featured digital camera at an affordable price.
The S850 includes Samsung’s Intelligent Face Recognition Technology, which detects the subject’s face, automatically adjusts auto focus and auto exposure to ensure better composition and image quality in portraits, and other shots featuring people. The AF function instantaneously recognises the faces of subjects and accurately focuses on them. The AE function then takes over, setting the appropriate exposure to ensure the highest image quality.
Despite its diminutive proportions, the S850 offers a wealth of advanced features more commonly found among more creative compact cameras. With aperture priority, shutter priority and manual modes, continuous shooting and AEB, the Samsung S850 puts complete creative control right at the user’s fingertips. Its’ revolutionary Wise Manual Focus feature enlarges the centre portion of the image in shooting mode, enabling the user to quickly and easily focus on the exact object or spot of their choosing.
Other features include:
- Shutter speeds of up to 1/2000 sec
- An ISO equivalent of 1600
- A bright 2.5” LCD display
- “One-touch Playback” for instant playback of an image, even when the power is off
- 20 megabytes of internal memory, and can accept SD, MMC, SDHC memory cards up to 4 gigabytes
- 11 scene modes including Night, Portrait, Children, Landscape, Close-up, Sunset, Backlight, Fireworks and Beach & Snow
- Colour effects include B/W, sepia, blue, green and red
- Continuous Shooting mode and Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB), enabling the shooting of a series of images with varying exposures
- An Auto Macro function that automatically adjusts shooting distance and focus
- Samsung’s proprietary ASR (Advanced Shake Reduction) system helps to reduce camera shake and image blur during longer exposures situations
- Movie mode lets users capture video in various resolutions, from 320×240 to 800×600, at up to 20 frames per second in AVI (MPEG-4) format. Image stabilisation can be engaged to compensate for unwanted camera movement and subject blur
- A built-in microphone allows a 10-second voice memo to be attached to any still image
See also: Digital Camera | Samsung