Last update (31 August’10):
– Review by ByThom.com
Ricoh GXR is an interchangeable unit camera system in which lenses are changed by using a slide-in mount system to attach camera units to the body. The camera also features Built-in flash and accessory shoe, DMI connecto and a 3.0-inch 920,000 pixels transparent LCD. The camera measures 114 x 70 x 29mm (4.5 x 2.7 x 1.1 in) and weighs 160g (5.6 oz)
Overall Rating: | Latest Price Info
Ricoh GXR Reviews
ByThom.com reviews the Ricoh GXR P10 and writes;
” I actually like the GXR. It’s not quite a pocket camera with the APS modules (though it may be with the P10 module if you’ve got largish shirt pockets). But it’s definitely a jacket pocket camera, and a very rugged one, at that. The two APS modules perform extremely well in terms of image quality, on par with most 12mp DSLRs.”
Adorama reviews the Ricoh GXR P10 and writes;
” The best thing about the GXR? It is so small! I carried the GXR and all of the lens modules with me for a couple of days and despite the fact that I used a small camera bag, I had plenty of room. Yes, it’ll cost ya. But the Ricoh GXR is the basis for a system that is sure to continue to grow in new and exciting new directions for photography and beyond.”
GX Garnerings reviews the Ricoh GXR P10 and writes;
” The images is not at the top of the class in crispness though. But generally speaking, images taken at the widest focal length are pretty in shape from corner to corner. At the farthest end of the lens, the images seem soft at the corners but the details on the whole are retained to a fairly satisfactory level.”
AmateurPhotographer reviews the Ricoh GXR (P10) and writes;
“Overall, the colours produced by the GXR are good, although there is a tendency for blue skies to look a little cyan….I found that the GXR’s spot metering measures exactly 128 (on a scale of 0-255), which means that the GXR meters exactly to a mid-grey…”
PopPhoto reviews the Ricoh GXR (With A12 and S10) and writes;
“Outside of the focusing quirks, we enjoyed the A12 module, maybe even more than the S10. As with normal DSLR lenses, it proves more versatile than you might at first think.”
PhotographyBlog reviews the Ricoh GXR (P10) and writes;
“those who have bought into Ricoh’s vision will find the combination of a very good 10 megapixel compact sensor, versatile 28-300mm lens, high-res 3 inch screen, HD movies, full manual control customisation, and the icing on the cake, RAW shooting at 5fps, very difficult to ignore.”
Adorama reviews the Ricoh GXR and writes;
“if your bottom line is picture quality, the images I produced with the GXR A12 module proved to me that this unique, compact, modular camera has an outstanding lens, a nice-big sensor that produces great pictures. In other words, despite some first-generation bugginess, it has big-camera chops and potentially, a big future.”
LuminousLandscape reviews the Ricoh GXR and writes;
“Overall, the file quality from the GXR-A12 is excellent, even at high ISO levels. In fact it is similar in many ways to output from the Leica X1 or a DSLR with a sensor of the same size. The files are fairly robust and so can be worked fairly extensively in post-processing without falling apart.”
CNET.uk reviews the Ricoh GXR and writes;
“The Ricoh GXR camera system shouldn’t work, but it does. Because every lens unit also includes a sensor, the system is pricey, and the variation in sensor sizes means you won’t necessarily get dSLR photo quality all the time. Yet, as a tool for taking pictures, it’s just brilliant. It just goes to show that you can’t truly judge a product without using it”
MacWorld reviews the Ricoh GXR and writes;
“Ultimately, the GXR is for someone who already owns a competent SLR and wants a more portable alternative that looks and feels the part while offering picture quality that’s just as good (or very near) SLR quality. “
GX Garnerings reviews the Ricoh GXR and writes;
“pricing is a concern for this organic system to grow in its market share. The drawbacks of price and the focusing speed in certain unfavourable situations for A12 aside, the GXR system is a very enjoyable system offering great ergonomics and superb (A12) to good (S10) image quality.”
TechyRadar reviews the Ricoh GXR and writes;
“The 24-72mm zoom has very good edge-to-edge sharpness and not much distortion (the camera can correct distortion internally too), and the exposure and white balance systems are up to the same high standard..”
Hands-on review video by WDC;
ePhotozine reviews the Ricoh GXR and writes;
“Ricoh have made a big improvement in noise performance, even without NR software, and I’m blown away with how the large APS-C sensor handles it. But they still need to provide more white-balance options and improve WB performance.”
Steve’sDigicams reviews the Ricoh GXR and writes;
“Both of the units provide outstanding image quality with good performance. With additional accessories, the GXR can become a very versatile camera that provides dSLR-like image quality in a much smaller package.”
CNET.asia reviews the Ricoh GXR and writes;
“The bottom line: Despite its lackluster focusing, we are still smittened by how the GXR operates. Also, the picture quality from the large sensor simply blows away typical point-and-shoots.”
T3 reviews the Ricoh GXR and writes;
“Although with lens attached we struggled to squeeze the GXR into a pocket, detached and transported separately we just about managed it. Given that image results are notably better than on its closest rival, the Olympus PEN E-P1,the GXR is a highly impressive gadget. It’s the closest thing yet to a DSLR in compact clothing.”
Hands-on review video by DigitalRev;
GoodGearGuide reviews the Ricoh GXR and writes;
“Pro: Excellent performance in dim lighting, very clear images, fast shot-to-shot performance, modular design. Cons: The focussing of the A12 lens unit was slow and inaccurate, can’t change focus point, manually focusing is a chore”
Ricoh GXR Sample Photos
Ricoh GXR Sample Videos
Ricoh GXR User Manual (PDF)
Click to view or right click and select Save Target As..(Firefox) or Save link as.. (IE) to download
Ricoh GXR Firmware
Ricoh GXR firmware update version 1.07
• Modified that the configured value for sharpness is correctly reflected to Exif header information.
• Improved exposure accuracy at AE lock.
• Improved white balance at shooting in a dark place with the P mode. (A12 only)
• Improved focus accuracy at Auto macro. (S10 only)
• Corrected the phenomenon below.
• In RAW mode in Picture Quality, if you take a picture with long time exposure, recorded image may be corrupted.
• Improved focus accuracy at Full Press Snap. (A12 only)
Ricoh GXR Brochure
– Download Ricoh GXR Brochure (PDF – 1.5MB)
The new Ricoh GXR is an interchangeable unit camera system in which lenses are changed by using a slide-in mount system to attach camera units to the body. The lens, image sensor, and image processing engine are integrated into the camera units so the body itself does not contain an image sensor.
With world-leading small size and low weight* enabling easy carrying, the GXR interchangeable unit camera system features a highly rigid magnesium alloy body and multiple camera units that can be changed to best fit the scene to be photographed. You can enjoy easy lens changes as well as amazing image quality and shooting flexibility. Concealing infinite possibilities in its small body, the GXR is a revolutionary camera system that pioneers a new realm of photography
Ricoh GXR Highlights
Ideal form for an interchangeable lens camera
* By integrating lens, image sensor, and image processing engine into a single optimized unit, we were able to created a compact camera with interchangeable lenses.
* The adoption of this new system has made it possible to achieve both “pocket size for go-anywhere portability” and “the highest image quality for every photographic situation and subject.”
* Since the image sensor is not exposed when lenses are changed, the camera’s structure makes it inherently difficult for dirt and dust to get inside.
* Putting image processing engines in both the body and the camera units, our focus was on achieving the highest image quality.
* For the exterior, we utilized die cast magnesium, which has a strong track record in the GR series, and we covered the surface with a corrosion-resistant “pear-skin” coating. The end result is a body with superior levels of durability, light weight, and feel in hand.
* Building on the operation control designs of the GR series and GX series, the GXR has several types of customizable buttons as well as the new DIRECT button, which the photographer can use to see many current settings at a glance. Sophisticated shooting settings can now be made faster than ever before.
* The directional pad, the three My Settings, the ADJ.lever, and the function buttons all contribute to the even greater operability achieved by the GXR.
* The grip form allows the GXR to be firmly held despite its small size, and the suitably yielding rubber material on the grip surface enables the camera to feel like an integral part of the hand.
Even greater power of expression
* The automatic exposure modes include program shift mode, shutter priority mode, and aperture priority mode.
* Picture settings can be customized with nine setting levels for easy creation of a diverse range of images.
* ISO3200 facilitates shooting in low light conditions.
Enhanced rapid shooting capabilities help capture fleeting shutter chances
* The Pre-AF function accelerates focusing speed by adjusting the focus to match subject movement.
* The full press snap function shoots at a preset distance for a one-push full-press of the shutter-release button.
* When shooting subjects up close, the camera automatically switches to macro mode so macro photography can now be enjoyed without having to worry about switching modes.(Auto macro setting)
High-definition 3.0-inch 920,000-dot VGA LCD picture display
* The high-resolution LCD picture display provides a wide viewing angle and high contrast. The screen has a fluorine coat to prevent soiling, a hard coat to prevent scratches, and an anti-reflection coat to give excellent visibility even outdoors in bright sunshine.
* With 100% sRGB coverage for color reproduction, the picture display vividly reproduces image colors.
Wide range of functions
* Tilt indicator utilizing an acceleration sensor.
* Three grid guides useful for framing images while shooting.
* Image flag function to enable the quick display of specific images from among those in the camera. Up to 20 images can be flagged.
* The new DIRECT screen enabling current settings to be displayed and changed.
New options enhance series expandability
* Two soft cases, one for each camera unit.
* The GXR can use the GR DIGITAL III external flash (GF-1), which can do TTL flash using auxiliary flash.
* Convenient for shooting in bright outdoor situations, the newly developed 920,000-dot- equivalent high-definition LCD viewfinder is removable and can be tilted up to 90 degrees. With a 100% field of view, it displays information in the same way as the picture display, thus enabling the photographer to shoot in a film camera style.