Photoshop Tutorial: Adding Canvas Area with the Crop Tool

This tutorial will show you how you can add more canvas area easily using the Crop tool in Photoshop.

Step 1.) Open your image, zoom out (ctrl -), and press ‘f’, then set the background color for your canvas area. In this case, I want to add black canvas area to my photo. So I set my background color to black.

canvas-tutorial-1

Step 2.) Now choose your Crop Tool from your Tool Pallete or by typing ‘c’.. then drag out a cropping marquee border on your image. Don’t worry about the size.

canvas-tutorial-2

Step 3.) Grab the corner point of your marquee border and drag outside the image area into the gray area. Position the border where you wan to add the canvas space.

canvas-tutorial-3

Step 4.) Press Enter, the grey area outside your image is now become black canvas space. From here, you can put a white border using stroke to your image, and add text in the bottom canvas area like my final image below..

canvas-tutorial-4

See also: Photoshop Tutorials

RSS feed

Comment by pizzofmine
2006-06-14 18:07:37

very very useful! Thanx for sharing

Comment by philip
2006-07-01 10:15:53

very simple
many variations to this but this is best by far

Comment by Ernest
2006-07-21 15:05:58

I learn best following detailed step by step directions that assume no previous knowledge
even of common terms. So I ncountered a block in your otherwise beautifully lucid description.
In step 4. you say ” put a white border using stroke to your image”. What stroke? What does one stroke and with what?

I am sure that the step must be a simple and logical one, but I cannot imagine wht it is.
Believe me I gave long thought to the problem before toubling you with it.
Sincerely
Thank you again for your anticipated reply.

Ernest

Comment by Oldgold
2006-07-22 13:20:26

Thank you for the excellent description. I acheived the black border. But I don’t know how to “stroke your image” to add the white stripe.
Help, please.
Oldgold

Comment by Dphotojournal com
2007-06-10 22:16:55

Ok, to make a white strip..
- choose rectangular marquee tool (m)
- make a rectangular border around the image
- Go to Edit > Stroke > Choose White > OK

That’s it..

Comment by HotShot
2007-06-10 16:52:21

Nice tut, comments and questions are justified, but why does’nt appear an answer ?