Last updated (28 August’10):
– Review by SLRGear
The Pentax SMC DA* 55mm f/1.4 SDM features 55mm at focal length with maximum aperture of f/4. The lens construction has 9 elements in 8 groups and has diagonal angle of view at 28.6 degrees. Closest focusing distance at 17.76 inches(0.45m) and has a filter size of 58mm. The Pentax SMC DA* 55mm f/1.4 SDM lens weighs 13.2 oz. (375g) and it measures 2.8 inches in diameter and 2.6 inches long.
Overall Rating: | Latest Price Info
Pentax SMC DA* 55mm f/1.4 SDM Reviews
SLRGear reviews the Pentax SMC DA* 55mm f/1.4 SDM and writes;
“The 55mm ƒ/1.4 is one of the sharper Pentax lenses we’ve had the opportunity to test. One of the hallmarks of this lens is its wide ƒ/1.4 maximum aperture; happily, sharpness performance at this setting is very good, just about 2 blur units across the frame. Pentax’s SDM focus system is both fast and quiet; the lens takes about a second to do a full rack through its focus range..”
Lenstip reviews the Pentax SMC DA* 55mm f/1.4 SDM and writes;
“The degree of correction of chromatic aberration definitely benefits the new Pentax. With DA* the defect is harmless with maximum aperture range and increases when stopping down. Its maximum level of 0.13% is reached for the range of aperture between f/5.6 and f/22.”
SLRLensreview reviews the Pentax SMC DA* 55mm f/1.4 SDM and writes;
“Pentax smc DA^ 55mm f/1.4 SDM is a pretty solid permer overall. There are some caveats that you should consider, such as the (usual) lower resolution and contrast at wider apertures, color fringing and some vignetting.”
Photozone reviews the Pentax SMC DA* 55mm f/1.4 SDM and writes;
“The SMC-DA* 55mm f/1.4 SDM is a rather typical representative of the standard lens species – it is capable of delivering ultra-sharp results when stopped down a little but it’s also fairly soft at very large aperture settings. Distortions and lateral CAs are not field-relevant. There may be a hint of vignetting visible at f/1.4 but generally there’s no reason to worry about this out there as well. The biggest differentiator of the lens is probably the high quality of the bokeh which is often a problem in most of the elderly 50s out there.”
Pentax SMC DA* 55mm f/1.4 SDM User Reviews
So quiet!! | Rating:
“I was blown away by how incredibly quiet the motor of this lens is. Of course, I am a Pentax fan and love their products. This one is no exception. The depth of field range is outstanding. Finally, a lens that will allow me to explore the endless possibilities of depth of field. There is an incredible difference between the standard 5.6 f-stop commonly offered on a standard lens and 1.4 that this lens offers. Well worth the price.” – by C. Fine
Pentax 55mm Prime | Rating:
“I currently own an all-Pentax system, including a K200D body with all the other SMC DA* lenses except the 200mm. My intention in buying the 55mm was to have a razor-sharp lens for candid and formal portrait photography. I’ve shot close to a hundred pictures with this wonderful lens over the course of the past couple of weeks, and it’s ability to capture images in low light is awesome at f/1.4, but not quite as sharp as when set to f/2.0. It has marvelously creamy bokeh in the low f-stop range, including a truly magical ability to capture shading and colors not perceived by the human eye.” – by Cy Gilbert
Pentax SMC DA* 55mm f/1.4 SDM Sample Photos
– Pentax SMC DA* 55mm f/1.4 SDM Sample Photos @ Photozone.de
– Pentax SMC DA* 55mm f/1.4 SDM Sample Photos @ Pixel-thingy.com
– Pentax SMC DA* 55mm f/1.4 SDM Sample Photos @ Pbase.com
– Pentax SMC DA* 55mm f/1.4 SDM Sample Photos @ Flickr.com
Pentax SMC DA* 55mm f/1.4 SDM Specifications
Boasting such features as super-low-dispersion optical elements, extra-low-dispersion (ED) optical elements, and Pentax original lens coatings, the Pentax DA* 55mm f/1.4 lens delivers crisp high-contrast images even at the edges. The lens is outfitted with a water- and dust-resistant seal for reliable operation in inclement conditions, along with a Pentax Quick-Shift Focus system that allows you to instantly switch between auto and manual focus. The objective lens surface, meanwhile, is treated with Pentax original (Super Protect) SP coating, a special fluorine compound that’s applied through a vapor-deposition process to create a surface that effectively repels dust, water, and grease. The combination of special lens coatings, ideal curvature, and superior positioning of optical elements optimizes a host of digital imaging characteristics while effectively minimizing flare and ghosting. Other features include an Aero Bright coating for maximum light transmission, rounded diaphragm blades that create a more circular aperture, a fast f/1.4 aperture for outstanding depth-of-field control, and a 1.48-foot minimum focusing distance. An ideal lens for portraits, still life, or low-light photography, this Pentax 55mm lens carries a one-year warranty.
* The smc Pentax DA Star 55mm F1.4 SDM is a prime standard lens that is ideal for portrait, still-life, or low light photography.
* Its fast F1.4 aperture offers outstanding depth of field control, and its rounded diaphragm blades create a more circular aperture for smooth, beautiful bokeh at large aperture settings.
* Adding the Pentax Aero Bright coating on internal lens elements offers ultra high refraction index for improved light transmission with minimal ghosting and flaring.
* The tightly sealed, weather-resistant and dust-resistant construction enhances durability for use in both rainy and dusty conditions, making the DA Star 55mm F1.4 SDM lens a perfect companion for the weather-resistant Pentax DSLR bodies.
* The Pentax-original Quick-Shift Focus System allows instant switching from autofocus to manual focus operation.
* The Pentax-original SP (Super Protect) coating repels dust, water and grease to keep your lens clean and your image quality at its peak.
* The SDM focus system incorporated in this lens results in a smoother, quieter autofocusing operation using a built-in supersonic motor.
* The focal length is equivalent to 84.5mm in the 35mm format
What’s in the Box:
* Pentax DA Star 55mm F1.4 SDM Lens
* Lens Hood – PH-RBH 58mm
* Lens Cap – O-LC58 58mm
* Rear Lens Cap
* Lens Soft Case – S90-100
* Focal length: 55mm
* Maximum aperture: f/1.4
* Minimum aperture: f/22
* Lens construction: 9 elements in 8 groups
* Angle of view: 28.6 degrees (with Pentax DSLR)
* Number of diaphragm blades: 9 (rounded)
* Minimum focusing distance: 1.48 feet
* Maximum magnification: 0.173x
* Filter diameter: 58mm
* Diaphragm control: Fully automatic
* Hood: PH-RBH
* Mount: Pentax
* Objective cap: O-LC58
* Case: S90-100
* Dimensions: 2.8 inches in diameter and 2.6 inches long
* Weight: 13.2 ounces
* Warranty: 1 year