Last update: Review & Sample Photos @ PhotographyReview (03 January’08)
The Pentax Optio W30 is a 7.1 million effective pixels point-and-shoot digital camera features 3x optical zoom (35mm equivalent: 38-114mm), ISO settings ranging from 64 to 3200, capability of shooting to depths of 3 meters continuously for 2 hours (compared to the W20 at just 1.5m for 30mins) and a 2.5″ LCD screen. The camera measures 107.5 x 54 x 23.5 mm and weighs 140 g.
Overall Rating: | Latest Price Info
Pentax Optio W30 Reviews
PhotographyReviews reviews the Pentax Optio W30 and writes;
“I must admit that overall I found it to be surprisingly versatile and competent as a take-anywhere, use-anytime pocket camera. It is not a DSLR replacement by any means. Nor is it the best choice for speedy shooting. But the W30 offers an intangible simplicity that makes the camera easy and fun to use.”
DigitalCameraInfo reviews the Pentax Optio W30 and writes;
“It’s a JIS Class 8 Waterproof and JIS Class 5 Dustproof camera that takes video (640×480 at 15-or30fps) and records audio in a small little package that takes photos that rival some of the photos I’ve taken with my DSLR.”
Pocket-Lint reviews the Pentax Optio W30 and writes;
“the Pentax performs well enough up to sensitivities of ISO400, above this setting things get noisier (as you’d expect).. Tough, versatile, and easy to use the Pentax Optio W30 offers a neat combination of rugged outdoorsiness along with scene m odes comprehensive enough to provide shooting panache. Some sluggish AF problems aside, the W30 is well worth looking at if you want a camera that can go anywhere you do, rain, snow, sand shine or swim!”
PhotographyBlog reviews the Pentax Optio W30 and writes;
“…image quality is hampered by noise, which appears at ISO 200, becomes very noticeable at ISO 800, and reduces images to a pixellated mess by ISO 3200..The 1cm macro mode is very appealing, but the maximum shutter speed of 4 seconds limits what can be achieved at night. Performance was quite good, although it’s best to stick to the single-shot mode. Overall the Pentax Optio W30 makes a great point and shoot choice for the next family beach holiday.”
PopPhoto reviews the Pentax Optio W30 and writes;
“Images out of the water were simple to shoot and gave pleasing results…Overall, there’s little not to like about this camera. It’s similar to many other shirt-pocket compacts on the market, with the added bonus of going with you into the pool or ocean instead of sitting behind on the beach. So go ahead, jump right in – the Optio W30 will happily go along with you. ”
TrustedReviews reviews the Pentax Optio W30 and writes;
“Picture quality is about average for a 7MP compact. Exposure is generally good, although in standard multi-zone metering mode it does tend to under-expose in strong backlighting. Colour rendition is very good, and the lens performs well despite its unusual configuration. It has noticeable barrel distortion at the wide-angle end of the zoom range, but overall detail and corner sharpness are a match for any other 7MP pocket compact. As I’ve already mentioned, the W30 does suffer from quite bad image noise at high ISO settings, but as long as you keep it under 800 it isn’t a major problem.”
Steve’sDigicams reviews the Pentax Optio W30 and writes;
“The overall image quality of our samples was good for a 7-megapxiel consumer model. Outdoors, our images were sharp, showed nice exposure and good color saturation. …Bottom line – the Pentax Optio W30 is yet another “Cool” underwater model. It can produce nice photos along with good shooting performance, loads of exposure modes, and lets not forget the added versatility of being able to take pictures underwater! At about $US250 or less, I feel the Optio W30 offers a great value for a camera in this category, and is sure to be a very popular digicam this year.”
DigitalCameraReview reviews the Pentax Optio W30 and writes;
“The Pentax Optio W30 offers water enthusiasts a limited underwater digital camera capability and terrestrial users a camera they won’t need to worry about if the environment suddenly turns wet. While the camera does a good job of image capturing when conditions are optimal, its foul-weather capability makes the W30 a viable choice for anyone who needs a compact digital that can shoot in places and conditions that would pose a risk to more typical cameras of this class. PROS: Limited underwater capability, excellent foul-weather capability, High ISO capability provides low-light flexibility, 2.5” LCD. CONS: No RAW capability, No manual controls (manual focus only), Hard to autofocus in dim lighting conditions”
Pentax Optio W30 Samples
- Pentax Optio W30 Sample Photos @ PhotographyReview
- Pentax Optio W30 Sample Photos @ DigitalCameraInfo
- Pentax Optio W30 Sample Photos @ PhotographyBlog
- Pentax Optio W30 Sample Photos @ PopPhoto
- Pentax Optio W30 Sample Photos @ Steve’sDigicams
- Pentax Optio W30 Sample Photos: 1 & 2 @ DigitalCameraReview
Pentax Optio W30 User Manual (PDF)
Click to view or right click and select Save Target As..(Firefox) or Save link as.. (IE) to download
Pentax Optio W30 Press Release
PENTAX Corporation is pleased to announce the launch of the new PENTAX Optio W30, a compact digital camera designed to be dustproof/waterproof. The waterproof function has been further enhanced so that it is possible to photograph underwater at depths of 3 meters continuously for 2 hours.
1. Enhanced waterproof function The waterproofing capabilities of the internal construction of the camera and of the front and back covers, made from the metal used for the exterior, were further improved to make the Optio W30 capable of being used to photograph underwater at depths of 3 meters continuously for 2 hours（in the conventional model, underwater photography was possible at depths of only 1.5 meters for a period of 30 minutes). The protective glass is treated with SP (Super Protect) coating, developed exclusively by PENTAX, and is superior in water-repellency, making it hard for water droplets to attach to the surface. In addition to high waterproofing capabilities that are compliant with the JIS Class 8 waterproof standard, the Optio W30 is also equipped with dustproofing capabilities against sand and dust (JIS Class 5 dustproof standard), making it able for you to use the camera outdoors, such as for skiing, marine sports, and fishing, as well as for gardening and cooking, without having to worry about water and dirt.
2. New LCD monitor that is bright and easily viewable The Optio W30 is equipped with a high-intensity 2.5-inch LCD monitor with an LCD Bright Mode that can adjust the brightness of the screen as necessary, making it easy to view the screen even outdoors, where there is strong sunlight. AR (Anti-Reflection) coating, which controls and reduces reflections caused by light, is also used for the monitor, making the screen be even more visible outdoors.
3. Digital SR (Shake Reduction) mode that reduces camera shakes and blurring of the subject when photographing still images. The sensitivity is adjusted automatically, to as high as the ultrahigh sensitivity of ISO 3200, to match the brightness of the subject. This enables for photography with fast shutter speeds, and images with less blurs can be obtained.
4. High-quality movies with Shake reduction function The Optio W30 captures smooth, high-quality movies at 30 fps (frames per second) at a resolution of 640 x 480 pixles, which is comparable to movies taken with a camcorder. It is also equipped with the “Movie SR (Shake Reduction)” function*1, which automatically corrects camera shakes, and the “Interval shooting” mode that records images recorded during each specified time interval as a movie, allowing for movies to be taken more easily and without hassles.
*1 Using the “Movie SR” function results in a narrower field of view than that during normal video recording.
5. “Face Recognition Priority AF & AE” function that is convenient when photographing people The Optio W30 is equipped with a “Face Recognition Priority AF & AE” function*2 that automatically detects and focuses on faces, regardless of where the people appear in the photo frame. In addition, optimal exposure settings are automatically conducted so that the areas with faces are not darkened even if there is backlighting.
*2 Available when the shooting mode is “Portrait” and the camera is directed at people from the front.
6. Macro photography as near as 1 cm The Optio W30 can be used as close as one centimeter away from a subject for stunning close-up photography. Macro photography provides many fun photo options because you can fill the photo frame with subjects like flowers, insects, or jewelry.
7. Auto Picture mode automatically determines the best settings for the shooting conditions The Auto Picture mode lets the camera automatically determine the shooting conditions for Landscape, Portrait, Night Scene, and Program modes and choose the optimum settings for each subject. This PENTAX original function makes photography a lot easier for users since it eliminates the necessity of making a number of individual settings.
8. 3X optical zoom lens and 7.1 effective megapixels deliver outstanding pictures The Optio W30 includes a 3X optical zoom lens that covers focal lengths from 6.3 to 18.9 mm (equivalent to 38 to 114 mm for 35mm film) and features a refraction lens system so the lens never protrudes from the camera while zooming. And by harnessing the full power of the 7.1 effective megapixels, the Optio W30 produces extremely high-quality prints with crisp detail even when the photo is greatly enlarged.
9. Other Features
* New auto-lock mechanism that automatically locks covers, such as the battery cover, after they are closed.
* Auto-tracking AF continuously focusing on a moving subject
* Compatible with new SDHC memory cards, in addition to conventional SD memory cards
* Mode Palette provides quick access to 25 shooting modes and 15 playback modes
* Image Recovery function lets you retrieve accidentally erased pictures
* Soft flash function avoids overexposure during close-up flash photography
* Digital zooming provides up to 4X magnification
* Digital Filter function that lets you enjoy editing photographed images
* FotoNation’s red-eye correction function for correcting red eye after shooting, which occurs easily when photographing with flash
* Approximately 21.9 MB of built-in memory
* Includes the ACDSee for PENTAX image viewer/image management software
* Supports PictBridge, DPOF functions, Exif Print, and PRINT Image Matching III
See also: Digital Camera | Pentax