Thanks to its newly developed, high-performance optics, this new medium-telephoto lens measures only 26 millimeters long and weighs a mere 130 grams. When mounted on a PENTAX digital SLR camera body, it protrudes very little from the camera’s front panel and offers a focal length equivalent to 107mm in 35mm format, making it a perfect choice for casual portrait and landscape photography.
Limited Lens-series quality
Distinctive visual description:
The PENTAX Limited Lens series is designed for distinctive visual description by combining a series of mechanical and numerical evaluations with human assessment of test-shooting samples. As a result, this lens produces smooth, natural skin tones and beautiful out-of-focus backgrounds at open aperture in portrait applications, while assuring crisp, high-contrast images at closed-down aperture in landscape photography.
The lens barrel, hood and cap are all made of a high-grade aluminum material, shaped for perfect proportions and striking beauty. The focusing ring is designed for superb accessibility and maximum ease of focusing operation.
SP coating to protect the lens against weather and grease:
The PENTAX-original Super Protect (SP) coating is applied to the front surface of this lens. Through a vapor deposition process, the lens surface is coated with a special fluorine compound to repel dust, weather and grease, making it easy to wipe off fingerprints and cosmetics.
Digital SLR-exclusive optical design:
This lens is exclusively designed for use with PENTAX digital SLR cameras, with an image circle perfectly proportioned to the CCD size (23.5mm x 15.7mm), and optics optimized for digital imaging characteristics. Combining high-quality image reproduction with an ultra-thin, super-lightweight design, it is a perfect partner to PENTAX digital SLR cameras.
Pentax DA 70mm F2.4 Limited Lens Additional Features
• PENTAX-developed Quick-Shift Focus System for instant switching to manual-focus operation after the subject is captured in focus by the AF system
• Detachable, extendible lens hood (included) for enhanced portability
• Nine-blade diaphragm for natural out-of-focus description
Pentax DA 70mm F2.4 Limited Lens Specifications
• Lens mount: PENTAX KAF mount
• Lens construction: 6 elements in 5 groups
• Angle of view: 23° (when used with *istD-series & K100D camera body)
• Aperture control: Automatic
• Number of diaphragm blades: 9
• Minimum aperture: F22
• Metering system: TTL open-aperture metering
• Minimum focusing distance: 0.7m (2.3 ft.)
• Filter size: 49mm
• Maximum magnification: 0.12X
• Dimensions (diameter x length): 63mm x 26mm (2.5 inches x 1.0 inch)
• Weight: 130g (4.6 oz.) without hood; 150g (5.3 oz.) with hood
>> REVIEWS (last updated: 01 May’07)
CameraLabs reviews the Pentax DA 70mm F2.4 (rating: 84%) and writes;
“Finally, some of the style decisions made by Pentax slightly reduce the usability of both models: the DA 40mm’s screw-on lens cap is classy, but can’t be removed as quickly as a clip-on cap, while the DA 70mm’s cap only fits on the supplied hood – but to be fair you’ll probably have this permanently attached anyway. So as in the old world of film SLRs, Pentax continues to be the leader in tiny lenses, and if compact size matters (or appeals) to you, then the Limited range of pancake style lenses are pretty much no-brainers. Both are technically impressive models and good choices for Pentax DSLR owners looking for quality fixed focal length options. “
>> SAMPLE PHOTOS (last updated: 01.05.07)
– Pentax DA 70mm F2.4 Limited Lens Sample Photos @ CameraLabs