Pentax has announced the Pentax Optio M60, a stylish 10.0 megapixels point-and-shoot digital camera features 5x optical zoom, High-speed Face Recognition function, and a 2.5-inch LCD monitor.
The camera measures ony at 95×55×23.5mm and weighs approx 130g
July 30th, 2008 – PENTAX UK is pleased to announce the launch of the new PENTAX Optio M60, a feature-filled digital compact camera that is lightweight and equipped with advanced, easy-to-operate functions. The Optio M60 can be used widely by anyone in a variety of situations, and is equipped with the latest scene mode recognition function allowing for easy and convenient capturing of high-quality images.
The M60 is the latest model in the PENTAX Optio M series of digital compact cameras, which have been highly acclaimed for their small, lightweight bodies and enhanced functions. In addition to a metal exterior that gives it a sense of sophistication, the M60 is loaded with an impressive optical 5X zoom, a large LCD monitor, easy-to-understand operability, and approximately 10.0 megapixels. Furthermore, the Optio M60 makes taking great pictures even easier by leaving it up to the camera to determine specific settings. This is made possible thanks to the strengthened face recognition function and advancements to the convenient “Auto Picture” function unique to PENTAX, where the camera automatically detects the conditions of the subject and selects the optimal scene mode. The camera is also available in three different colours, allowing users to select their favourite.
1. Advanced Auto Picture mode that lets the camera automatically select the scene mode
Improvements have been made in the recognition performance of the Auto Picture mode, which is a convenient function unique to PENTAX, where the camera automatically selects the optimal scene mode when pointed at the subject. Through the addition of Candlelight to the conventional scene modes of Landscape, Portrait, Night Scene, Night Scene Portrait, Standard, Flower, and Sport, a total of 8 scenes can now be recognised with the Optio M60, which is the greatest for this series. It is now possible to leave everything up to the camera and take beautiful photos of a wide variety of scenes easily and without hassle.
2. High-speed Face Recognition function takes only 0.03 seconds
The Optio M60 is equipped with the Face Recognition AF & AE function, which is useful when taking photos of people, as it automatically sets the focus and exposure. In addition to increasing to 32 the number of faces that can be detected at once, the detection time has been reduced to an impressive 0.03 seconds. The Optio M60 is also supplied with easy to use applications such as Smile Capture, which automatically distinguishes smiles and takes photos, and Blinking Detection, which is a function that warns the photographer if the subject blinked at the moment the shot was taken.
3. New design that pursues a sophisticated texture
The Optio M60 features a new design that is unique down to the texture of each part. Aluminum alloy, which has a certain sophisticated feel and look to it, is used for the body’s exterior. Different colours are used for the decorative ring around the lens that match the body colour. By using parts with a beautiful luster for the grip and the upper surface of the body, the Optio M60 becomes as much an accessory as a state of the art camera technology.
4. Optical 5X zoom lens
Within a compact body that fits into the palm of your hand, the Optio M60 is equipped with an optical 5X zoom lens, with an angle of view equivalent o approximately 36mm to 180mm in 35mm format. It is now possible to zoom in further when taking photos of landscapes, commemorative photos and portraits. The Optio M60 also features an Intelligent Zoom function that extends the zoom range without compromising the optical zoom’s image quality, enabling highmagnification zoom photography, equivalent to a maximum of approximately 28.5X.
5. High sensitivity Digital SR mode that reduces camera shake and subject blurring
The Optio M60 features Digital SR (shake reduction) mode, which can reduce camera shake and subject blurring during still-image photography. This mode automatically adjusts the image sensor sensitivity up to a maximum of ISO 6400, in accordance with the subject’s brightness to permit the fastest shutter speed possible to capture a sharp, clear image with minimal blurring.
6. Approximately 10.0 effective megapixels for high-definition images
For the Optio M60, the effective pixel count was increased to a higher definition of approximately 10.0 megapixels. In addition, clear and high-quality images are realised through a high-performance PENTAX lens. Clear prints, with exceptional detail are possible even when photos are stretched out to large sizes.
7. Other features
1) Large, 2.5-inch LCD monitor of approximately 230,000 dots, with a wide viewing angle for easy viewing even from diagonal directions
2) Digital Wide mode merges two shots into one image in the camera, for ultrawide- angle expressions equivalent to a focal length of approximately 28mm in 35mm format
3) Panorama mode for composing photographs into one panoramic picture
4) Movie recording function with shake reduction enabling high image quality rivaling camcorders
5) Mode palette provides quick access to 24 shooting conditions and 15 playback modes
6) Frame composite function allows photographers to shoot and create images with decorative frames; there are 80 built-in styles to choose from
7) Auto-Macro allows for close-up photography as near as 10cm, without changing the normal focusing mode
8) Date and Time imprint function for easy image categorising
9) Approximately 36.5MB of built-in memory
10)FotoNation’s red-eye compensation function for flash shots
11)Includes the ACDSee for PENTAX 3.0 image viewer/image management software that supports Windows VistaTM
12)Support PictBridge, DPOF functions, Eixf Print, and PRINT Image Matching III
Optio M60 Specifications
* Resolution: 10Mp CCD
* Sensor size: 1/2.3in
* Sensitivity: ISO64-6400
* Storage: Built-in Memory (approx. 36.5MB), SD/SDHC
* Aperture: f/3.5-5.6
* Zoom: 5x Optical
* Monitor: 2.5in LCD 230,000 dots
* Focus type: 9-point AF, Spot AF, Auto tracking AF
* Macro: 10cm
* Metering: Multi, Centre-weighted, Spot
* Exposure Compensation: Yes ±2EV(1/3EV steps)
* Shutter Speed: 4sec-1/2000
* Flash Modes: Flash-on, Flash-off, Red-eye reduction, Soft Flash
* Flash Range: Wide: 0.2-4.4m, Tele: 0.6-2.8m
* Drive Modes: One shot, Self-timer, Continuous Shooting, High Speed Continuous Shooting
* Power: Lithium-ion battery
* Interfaces: USB2.0
* Dimensions: 95×55×23.5mm
* Weight: 130g
See also: Digital Camera | News | Pentax