Last update: Review & Sample Photos @ Steve’sDigicams (12 July’08)
The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS20 is a 10.1 megapixel point-and-shoot digital camera features 4x Optical Zoom (35mm Equivalent: 30-120mm), Intelligent Auto Mode, ISO 100-1600, and a 3.0″ Intelligent LCD screen. The camera measures 2.25” x 3.74” x 0.9” and it weighs 0.29 lbs.
Overall Rating: | Latest Price Info
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS20 Reviews
Steve’sDigicams reviews the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS20 and writes;
“Performance from the FS20 is excellent. From startup, it takes the camera 2.6 seconds to capture its first image. The shutter lag is almost instantaneous when the camera is pre-focused and 6/10 of a second when allowing the auto focus to work. ”
Cameras.uk reviews the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS20 and writes;
“This camera is well worth taking a close look at if you are looking for a pocket camera that is a step up from the more basic models. It is easy to use, takes a good picture and has a large 3 inch LCD screen.”
CNET.au reviews the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS20 and writes;
“If you just want a camera that takes good shots without having to understand photographic jargon, buy the FS20.”
RegHardware reviews the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS20 and writes;
“Overall, we liked the DMC-FS20 very much. It lacks some of the glitz of other models in a similar price range and it doesn’t offer a great deal when it comes to manual control. But then again, this is exactly what many digital camera owners are looking for.”
Photoxels reviews the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS20 and writes;
“Overall, good image quality for this category of entry-level point-and-shoot digicams. Just set the shooting mode to iA and Color Mode to Vivid to obtain sharp and saturated colors right out of the camera.”
PCMag reviews the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS20 and writes;
“With a wealth of features and above-average image quality, the FS20 represents an advance for Panasonic. Still, I can’t recommend it over the Canon PowerShot SD870 IS, which offers a wider-angle lens and slightly better image quality. “
DCR reviews the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS20 and writes;
“The overall look of images from the FS20 is close to neutral, with just a bit of added warmth in many situations…Ironically, then, the final word in my mind is that while the three-star FS outperforms the FS3 in many respects, when price is factored in the Lumix FS20 becomes merely a good camera, rather than a great one. ”
GoodGearGuide reviews the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS20 and writes;
“The DMC-FS20 is every bit as impressive as the FS5; offering the same hassle-free interface with a slightly bigger LCD. If you’re a casual happy-snapper with exacting standards (and zero patience), it will definitely satisfy.”
PhotographyBlog reviews the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS20 and writes;
“The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS20 produces noise-free images at ISO 100 and 200, but ISO 400 shows some noise and smoothing of detail. ISO 800 exhibits very blurred detail, and the fastest setting of 1600 should only be used in an emergency.”
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS20 Price Comparison
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS20 Samples
– Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS20 Sample Photos @ Steve’sDigicams
– Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS20 Sample Photos @ Cameras.uk
– Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS20 Sample Photos @ Photoxels
– Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS20 Sample Photos @ DCR
– Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS20 Sample Photos @ PhotographyBlog
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS20 User Manual (PDF)
Click to view or right click and select Save Target As..(Firefox) or Save link as.. (IE) to download
– Download Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS20 User Manual (PDF – 1.2MB)
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS20 Press Release
LAS VEGAS, NV (January 29, 2008) – Panasonic today announced the launch a new LUMIX FS-Series of digital camera the 10.1-megapixel model DMC-FS20 which features 30mm wide-angle Leica DC lens with 4x optical zoom. The FS models, a stylish sister-line of the highly-acclaimed LUMIX FX-Series, combines easy operation with a slim and sleek look, enabling both beginner and advanced users to take beautiful digital photos with a model they can slip in their pocket. Both cameras also have Intelligent Auto Mode, an advanced intuitive system of technologies that help users take better photos more easily.
“Panasonic added the FS-Series to our LUMIX line of digital cameras to address the needs of consumers who want a point-and-shoot camera that is not only affordable, intuitive and easy-to-use, but also stylish and small enough that they slip it in their pocket or into a small purse,” said Alex Fried, National Marketing Manager, Imaging, Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company. “The FS-line packages Leica lenses, Intelligent Auto Mode, powerful image processing and superior memory power in a small, sleek design. We want our LUMIX digital cameras to have features that enable great digital photos regardless of the level of the photographer.”
The FS20 features Intelligent Auto Mode, comprised of five functions: Mega O.I.S., Intelligent ISO Control, Intelligent Scene Selector, Face Detection and Quick AF (auto focus).
* MEGA O.I.S. – Gyrosensors detect hand-shake and the lens system shifts to compensate, helping to prevent hand-shake from creating a blurry image.
* Intelligent ISO – With Intelligent ISO, the FS20 and FS5 can determine if the photo subject is moving and change the ISO setting and shutter speed accordingly, thus giving a blur-free photo.
* Intelligent Scene Selector – Intelligent Scene Selector senses the ambient conditions, recognizes the shooting environment and will automatically select the appropriate scene mode from: Scenery, Portrait, Macro, Night Portrait or Night Scenery mode. This intuitive technology, helps the consumer use the most common scene modes that are built into the camera, but often go unused, without making any manual adjustments.
* Face Detection – Panasonic’s Face Detection detects faces anywhere in the frame and automatically chooses the optimal focus and exposure settings so portraits come out clear and crisp. Detecting up to 15 faces, Panasonic’s Face Detection can even track a face if the subject is moving.
* Quick AF – The Quick AF (auto focus) system starts focus on the subject by just pointing the camera to the subject, thus minimizing the AF time.
In addition to powerful the Intelligent Auto Mode, the fourth generation high-performance image-processing Venus Engine IV LSI helps produce higher-quality pictures with an advanced signal processing system. It adds a new high-performance noise reduction system that helps reproduce even the most delicate parts of images naturally and without color bleeding. The Venus Engine IV reduces shutter release time lag while still enabling high-resolution picture taking, making it easier to capture spur-of-the-moment photo opportunities.
Other features of the DMC-FS20 include approximately 50 MB of internal memory and a 3.0-inch LCD – perfect for easy-to-see viewing of images. Furthermore, these models feature Intelligent LCD, which detects the lighting condition and controls the brightness level of the LCD to offer optimal clarity in any situation, whether dark or light; indoors or outdoors.
The LUMIX DMC-FS20, with a manufacturer’s retail price (MSRP) of: $299.95 will be available in pink, black and silver models. Available in February 2008.