Last Updated (13 February’11):
- Review video by Digitalcamerainfo
Olympus SZ-10 is a 14 megapixels Digital camera features 18X Optical Zoom, Dual IS stabilization system (Sensor-shift + Digital), MP4 HD video recording at 720p resolution, Intelligent Auto, 8 Magic Art Filters, including 2 new options (Watercolor and Sparkle), 3D Mode, Shadow Adjustment technology, and 3.0-inch LCD screen with 460,000 dots of resolution. The camera measures 4.2″W x 2.6″H x 1.5″D (105.9mm x 67.3mm x 37.9mm) and weighs 215g.
Overall rating: N/A | Check Availability
Olympus SZ-10 Reviews
Digitalcamerainfo reviews the Olympus SZ-10 and writes;
“Overall, the Olympus SZ-10 has a lot of curb appeal with its big banner special features. We don’t have much faith in the 3D or panorama features, but the image stabilization seems to compensate well when shooting at the zoom extremes. The 720p video could have been upper to 1080i, and there’s plenty of alluring competing models if this is important to you. We remain skeptical but intrigued.”
Olympus SZ-10 Sample Photos
- Olympus SZ-10 Sample Photos @ Flickr.com
Olympus SZ-10 User Manual (PDF)
Click to view or right click and select Save Target As..(Firefox) or Save link as.. (IE) to download
Olympus SZ-10 Features
Olympus Imaging Corporation (President: Masaharu Okubo) is pleased to announce the OLYMPUS SZ-10, a compact digital camera that is perfect for travel and sports events. It features 18x ultra-zoom lens, DUAL IS*1, and HD movies*2. It is scheduled to go on sale in Japan in Spring, 2011.
1. 14-Megapixel CCD*3, 18x optical zoom lens, and DUAL IS to reduce picture blur
2. Magic Filters*4 can be recorded in HD movie (MPEG-4 AVC / H.264)
3. 3-inch, 460K dots High-resolution LCD monitor to enjoy viewing photos you just took
The OLYMPUS SZ Series is a digital camera that is perfect for travel and sports events. Thanks to its advanced optical expertise, Olympus has been able to incorporate in a compact, palm-size camera the same high-powered super-telephoto capability that normally makes SLR cameras so bulky and heavy. Because it is so small, this camera is an ideal travelling companion, offering the power of a full-size camera and lenses without increasing the amount of luggage. The SZ Series is an easy-to-use “all-in-one” camera that makes it possible anyone to enjoy the pleasure of advanced photography.
The Olympus SZ-10 covers a remarkably wide shooting range with focal lengths ranging from 28mm*5 wide-angle to 504mm*5 telephoto with the super-telephoto 22x optical zoom lens. It can capture big, up-close images of even the most distant subjects, creating high-impact pictures by capturing details that cannot be seen with the naked eye, such as the facial expressions of children in athletic or theatrical events or athletes in professional sport competitions. To reduce the picture blur commonly associated with telephoto shooting effectively, the SZ-10 features DUAL IS using a CCD-shift image stabilization mechanism and high-sensitivity image capturing. It also features dedicated Movie REC button to immediately shooting movies and Magic Movies to enhance your camera life. Moreover, you can enjoy the SZ-10 in your usual life as well with the full array of functions such as 3D Photos*6, Beauty Mode*7, Beauty Make, and Pet Mode.
HD movie (AVI Motion JPEG) recording
High-quality movies are available in 1280 x 720-pixel high-definition quality. Movie recording can be manipulated by a dedicated movie REC button.
The SZ-10 features an expanded range of 8 Magic Filters, Pop, Pin Hole, Fisheye, Sketch, Soft Focus and Punk inherited from the previous model, and newly added Watercolor*8 and Sparkle*9. Furthermore, Magic Movies recordings are available in Pop, Pin Hole, Sketch Soft Focus, Punk and Watercolor delivering distinct look and artistic feel.
Watercolor: Enjoy transforming your images with a finish like that of watercolor paintings.
Sparkle: Enjoy photos with the luxurious feel created by the added twinkling lights.
3D Photo Shooting Function
You can shoot dynamic 3D photos in any mode from usual life to landscape. Recreate a sense of depth like that of the original scene. You can then enjoy the full power of 3D images on compatible TV sets and computers. Simply select the 3D Photo in Shooting mode and then release the shutter and slide the camera sideways to easily get a 3D photo. During 3D Photo shooting, a 3D file and regular JPEG files are recorded at the same time. There are two modes to shoot 3D photos;
Auto mode: After taking the 1st image, pan the camera slowly to line up the on-screen image and the 2nd image will be shot automatically.
Manual mode: After taking the 1st image, pan the camera slowly to line up the on-screen image, and then press the shutter to capture the 2nd image manually.
First select 3D photo playback or ordinary playback, and then you can further enjoy the full power of 3D images by playing them back on 3D-compatible TV sets or computers.
MP Format (Multi Picture Format)
This is a format standardized by CIPA to handle multiple images under a single image file. When you use the 3D Photo Shooting function, the images for the right and left eye are recorded in a single MP format file.
The camera automatically detects dogs’ and cats’ faces. Selecting the [Pet Mode - Dog] or [Pet Mode - Cat] from the scene mode, the camera will quickly detect your pet’s face and automatically focus on it before shooting the photo. The camera will detect up to 10 faces of different dogs or cats.
The camera captures perfectly your pet’s cute expressions. Use the Auto Release function to have the camera automatically shoot the photo the moment the dog or cat who is the main subject turns to face the camera. You will never again miss your pet’s whimsical facial expressions.
Eye-Fi Card Compatible*11
Eye-Fi Cards are SDHC memory cards with built-in wireless LAN functionality. The images that you take can easily be uploaded wirelessly to your computer and to photo printing services and online albums.
* 3D Photo Shooting Function (MPO Format)
* Pet Mode to automatically detects dogs’ and cats’ faces
* Magic Filter effects for creative imaging and Beauty Mode to touch up human faces for more attractive results
* Scene Modes for one-touch shooting adjustment in difficult environments including dedicated underwater scenes as well as in standard conditions
* HDMI output control for operations including picture selection and frame-by-frame advancement using a TV’s remote control
* Face Detection AF with which the camera detects and focuses on human faces automatically
* iAUTO function that analyzes the current composition and optimizes camera settings automatically
* In-body panorama composition function that lets you shoot a panorama picture by simply panning the camera as guided
* USB battery charging enables the camera battery to be recharged from a PC while automatically storing and organizing recorded data in the PC
* AF Tracking to keep a moving subject in focus by tracking it automatically
* Photo-surfing allows you to search desired pictures according to recording keyword such as “date”, and “subject”.
* Compatible media: SD/SDHC/SDXD/Eye-Fi memory cards
See also: Digital Camera | Olympus