From October 2006, it will be available from all good camera shops in a choice of three colours: Deep Blue, Cherry Red and Titanium Grey, priced at around £300.00. For stockist information call 0800 0720070 or visit www.olympus.co.uk.
When other manufacturers say their cameras can “cope with anything” they usually mean the extremes of exposure or focusing, they don’t mean being dropped on the ground or dunked in water! Being shockproof up to 1.5m* and waterproof up to 5m**, the Olympus µ (mju) 725 SW’s gives a whole new meaning to this phrase. And, should this level of protection not be enough, photographers can use the optional PT-033 Underwater case to extend the camera’s sub aqua capabilities to an amazing 40m below the surface.
Needless to say a high level of protection has been extended to the cameras bright 1:3.5-5.0, 3x optical zoom lens (equiv. to 38-114mm on a 35mm camera). This has been specially constructed and employs a folded optical light path that allows the lens to be permanently contained inside the camera’s metal body, removing the need to have the lens protrude from the body and risking damage if play gets rough.
Equal attention has been given to optimising picture quality. A 7.1 million pixel CCD ensures that pictures taken on the µ (mju) 725 SW are packed with detail, and BrightCapture Technology is employed to deliver exceptional performance in low light. By extending the ISO range to 1600, BrightCapture also helps to avoid image blur. The higher sensitivity enables faster shutter speeds to be used, thereby reducing the risk of blurred images – especially at night.
BrightCapture is also brought into play to improve performance in some of the camera’s 24 special scene modes. From Sports, through to Landscapes, and onto Macro and various Underwater modes, pre-defined settings help the user get the best shot with the minimum of fuss.
Not limited to taking only still images, the µ (mju) 725 SW can also record movies with sound (in 640×480 pixel quality) with the duration of the movie only limited by the amount of memory available. This might be the camera’s internal memory, or optional xD-Picture Cards of up to 1GB which can also be used.
The µ (mju) 725 SW is great for fuss-free operation in extreme situations. Framing shots is easy on the large 6.4cm LCD screen. This boasts a contrast level 4x brighter than conventional LCD’s, making it easier to locate the desired subjects, something that is particularly welcome in low-light conditions. And should the photographer ever need a quick reminder as to how to get a particular effect, they can consult the camera’s Guide Function, which gives brief explanations of the camera functions directly on the LCD – just like having the instruction book built in!
With waterproof protection to 5m** and resistant against falls of up to 1.5m*, the tough, metal-bodied Olympus µ (mju) 725 SW is sure to become a firm favourite with active photographers. The camera hit the shelves from October 2006, priced at around £300.00.
The Olympus µ (mju) 725 SW – main features:
– Waterproof up to 5m**
– Shockproof (equivalent to 1.5m)*
– 7.1 million pixels
– Tough metal body in three colours: Deep Blue, Cherry Red and Titanium Grey
– BrightCapture Technology for better low light photography – with improved brightness for underwater scenes
– Bright 3x optical zoom (equiv. to 38-114mm on a 35mm model) 1:3.5-5.0, with optical folded light-path
– Large 6.4cm/2.5” LCD with 115,000 pixels
– 24 scene modes (incl. Portrait, Candle, Landscape and various underwater modes) plus Auto
– Movie function with sound (640×480 pixels, 15fps)
– Macro and Super Macro mode for shots from as little as 7cm
– Editing functions (e.g. Red-eye Fix, Calendar Composition, Layout Composition, Title Composition)
– Internal memory plus xD-Picture Card slot
– Multi-language menu with 10 languages plus possibility to download 15 more languages from the internet (on board: English, German, Spanish, Italian, French, Russian, Czech, Polish, Danish, Dutch)
– Supplied with Olympus Master Software, Neoprene Case and LI-42B battery plus LI-40C charger
Optional underwater case PT-033 (waterproof up to 40m)
Pages: 1 2