Nikon SB-400 is a powerful flash (guide number of 30/98.4 (ISO 200, m/ft), 21/69 (ISO 100, m/ft)) with a fast recycling time in a compact, durable body. It features Automatic Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor (IGBT) and series circuitry Electronic construction, Approx. 3.9 sec. faster recycling time, compared to previous 430EX, Angle of coverage Light distribution covers an 18mm lens when mounted on a Nikon DX format camera and a 27mm lens when mounted on an F6. The Nikon SB-400 measures 66 x 56.5 x 80mm (2.6 x 2.2 x 3.1 in.) (W x H x D) and weighs 127g (4.5 oz.) (without batteries).
Nikon SB-400 Expert Reviews
Kenrockwell reviews the Nikon SB-400 and writes;
“Wonderful! Bounce works fast and easy, the metal shoe and lock make the SB-400 instant to attach and remove, it never has a bad connection, recycling time is limited only by the AA cells and the ON-OFF slide switch is much faster than the bogus push-and-hold buttons of the more expensive SB-600 and SB-800.”
Momentcorp reviews the Nikon SB-400 and writes;
“One thing that makes the SB-400 a great upgrade over the built in flashes in Nikon’s Dslr’s is the bounce capability, the flash head tilts up to 90° with click-stops at 0°, 60°, 75°, 90°. Bouncing the flash off a ceiling and you get rid of those ugly shadows in your pictures. An improvement over the earlier Nikon DX Flashes is that the unit uses AA-size batteries.”
Nikondslrs reviews the Nikon SB-400 and writes;
“The SB-400 doesn’t have zoom or wide diffuser features, but then again, it doesn’t really need them because it is designed for wider lenses. It eliminates that annoyance where the built-in flash of those cameras cause a dark shadow on the bottom which is relieving. Along with the fantastic speed shooting capabilities and lightweight and durable construction, the Nikon SB-400 is definitely a top pick.”
Nikon SB-400 User Manual
– Download Nikon SB-400 User Manual (PDF – 831kb)
Nikon SB-400 Features & Specifications
Nikon announces the Nikon Speedlight SB-400, an intelligent and versatile external flash unit that provides i-TTL flash operation in a super-compact and ultra-lightweight body at an affordable price.
With its powerful guide number of 21, the SB-400 is an ideal flash unit for beginners in digital SLR photography, but it is also useful for hobbyists and professionals looking for a handy i-TTL flash unit offering an effortless bounce flash function.
The SB-400 has been specifically developed to provide photographers with an entry-level external flash unit which is compatible with i-TTL flash operation. When combined with cameras that are compatible with the Nikon Creative Lighting System, the SB-400 is controlled in i-TTL and D40’s M (manual) mode.
The SB-400’s flash head can be tilted in 4 steps–horizontal, as well as 60, 75, and 90 degrees–and has a flash shooting distance range of between 60cm to 20m (depending on the camera’s ISO setting). Slow Sync, Red-eye Reduction and other flash modes can also be set on the camera body, enabling users to enjoy brighter and more natural lighting for better flash pictures.
* Compatible with i-TTL and D40’s M mode
* Flash head can be tilted in 4 steps; horizontal, 60, 75 and 90 degrees
* Flash shooting distance range: 0.6m – 20m (depends on the ISO setting)
* Guide number: 30 [ISO 200, m, 20°C]
* Angle of coverage: 18mm (with Nikon-DX format cameras), 27mm (with Nikon F6)
* Depending on the camera in use, the following flash modes are available: Slow Sync, Red-eye Reduction, Red-eye Reduction with Slow Sync, Rear-curtain Sync, FV Lock, exposure compensation, M (manual, only with D40 camera)
* Power source: two AA-size 1.5V batteries (also compatible with lower voltage batteries)
* Note: SB-400 cannot be used with cameras not compatible with Nikon Creative Lighting System.SB-400 is not compatible with Advanced Wireless Lighting.