Last Update (27 March’11):
- Review & Sample Photos @ ImagingResource
Nikon Coolpix S8100 is a 12.1-megapixel backside illumination CMOS sensor Digital Camera features 10x Zoom-Nikkor ED Lens (35mm equivalent: 30-300mm), Full HD (1080p) Movie with Stereo and HDMI Output, 4-way VR Image Stabilization System, ISO 160-3200 and a 3.0-inch ultra high resolution (921,000-dot) Clear Color Display with a wide viewing angle and anti-glare coating. The camera measures (W x H x D) 4.1 x 2.3 x 1.2 in. (104 x 59 x 30 mm) and 7.4 oz (209 g).
Overall Rating: | Latest Price Info
Nikon Coolpix S8100 Reviews
ImagingResource reviews the Nikon Coolpix S8100 and writes;
“Overall, we liked the Nikon Coolpix 8100, and had a lot of fun shooting with it. Outdoors, the Nikon S8100 takes very good photographs with excellent color. Indoors, the camera does reasonably well considering the 12-megapixel resolution and long zoom; and the Nikon S8100 even has HDR modes to deal with difficult lighting situations.”
ePhotozine reviews the Nikon Coolpix S8100 and writes;
“The Nikon Coolpix S8100 is an impressive compact camera that is packed with features, and most importantly delivers great photo quality in practically all situations…The camera also offers 5fps high speed shooting, and high speed video, making the camera versatile as well as fun to use. “
PhotographyBlog reviews the Nikon Coolpix S8100 and writes;
“The Nikon Coolpix S8100 solves a lot of the issues that we disliked about the original S8000, but it still has a few key deficiencies, most notably the not-very-wide 30mm lens, so-so image quality, especially at the higher ISO speeds, frustrating need to access the main menu…”
CNET reviews the Nikon Coolpix S8100 and writes;
“The good: Excellent shooting performance; great LCD; stereo mic; 10x zoom in an attractive compact body. The bad: Soft photos on either side of ISO 200; white balance is a little off; no manual or semimanual shooting modes. The bottom line: With fast performance, good photos, and an excellent feature-to-price ratio, the Nikon Coolpix S8100 is a compact megazoom worth considering.”
CNET.au reviews the Nikon Coolpix S8100 and writes;
“Offering a whole heap of shooting modes and generally good image quality, the S8100 is a tempting proposition for those looking for a 10x optical zoom compact.. “
InfoSync reviews the Nikon Coolpix S8100 and writes;
“Low light noise was exceedingly minimal at high ISO levels, and we shot side-by-side with the Canon PowerShot SD4500 IS. Both cameras performed very well, though we noticed that Canon’s noise is sharper and more defined while Nikon’s is more of a light fuzzy haze. Either way, we found both cameras to produce great results in low light at high ISO levels. “
Nikon Coolpix S8100 Sample Photos
- Nikon Coolpix S8100 Sample Photos @ ImagingResource
- Nikon Coolpix S8100 Sample Photos @ PhotographyBlog
- Nikon Coolpix S8100 Sample Photos @ CNET.au
- Nikon Coolpix S8100 Sample Photos @ Flickr.com
- Nikon Coolpix S8100 Sample Photos @ Imaging.nikon.com
Nikon Coolpix S8100 User Manual (PDF)
Click to view or right click and select Save Target As..(Firefox) or Save link as.. (IE) to download
Nikon Coolpix S8100 Features
High speed operation, exceptional low light performance, excellent image quality and sophisticated features mark the 12.1-megapixel Coolpix S8100, with advanced CMOS sensor technologies. The optical 10x Zoom-Nikkor ED glass lens covers 30-300mm, and the camera’s speedy start-up, fast autofocus, quick shutter release, superior low light performance and high-speed continuous shooting (capture 5 shots in one second) to ensure capture of memorable moments.
The versatile Coolpix S8100 offers Optical VR Image Stabilization, high ISO sensitivity up to 3200, a new flash control system, full HD 1080p movie recording with stereo sound and a 3- inch Ultra-High Resolution (921,000-dot) Clear Color Display for bright, sharp image viewing and sharing.
Nikon Coolpix S8100 Highlights
Superior Image Quality
* 12.1 -megapixel CMOS sensor for high speed operation and exceptional low-light performance.
* 10x Wide-Angle Optical Zoom-Nikkor ED Glass Lens. Versatile 30-300mm lens ranges wide to capture landscapes, zooms in to get close to the action. In the Nikkor tradition of precision optics, the high-quality ED glass lens delivers superb color and razor-sharp results.
* 4-way VR Image Stabilization System
* Optical VR Image Stabilization by lens shift minimizes the effects of camera shake.
* Motion Detection automatically detects moving subjects and adjusts shutter speed and ISO to compensate for camera shake and subject movement.
* High ISO up to 3200 for optimum results when shooting in low light or photographing fast-moving subjects.
* Nikon’s Best Shot Selector (BSS) automatically takes up to ten shots while the shutter is pressed, then selects and saves the sharpest image.
* EXPEED C2 continues to expand the possibilities of photography with improved levels of image quality, fine detail and processing speed. Custom-optimized for each Coolpix model, Nikon’s renowned digital image processing engine ensures outstanding images.
* 3-inch Ultra-High Resolution (921,000-dot) Clear Color Display for still images and movies that come alive with rich detail and improved contrast. The large LCD’s wide viewing angle and antiglare coating make it easy to compose, view and share pictures.
* Advanced low light shooting capability.
* Shoot still images even while recording HD Movie. Creative Control
* Mode Dial for quick setting of key functions.
* ISO can be set as high as 3200.
* In-camera editing functions include Quick Retouch, and DLighting.
* Creative Slider allows adjustment of brightness, saturation and color.
HD Movie Recording
* Full HD (1080p) Movie with Stereo and HDMI Output, optical Zoom control and stereo sound recording. HDMI output allows easy incamera playback or convenient playback on HD-TV or computer. In-camera movie editing function also available. One-Touch record button for instant Movie recording.
High Speed Performance
* Ultra-fast start-up, autofocus and shooting.
* High Speed Shooting capture 5 shots in one second at full resolution.
* Sport Continuous Shooting to capture fast action (reduced image size)
* Shoot Slow Motion Movies up to 240 fps by selecting HS Movie mode (reduced image size)
* Subject Tracking automatically tracks a moving subject to ensure sharp focus.
* Smart Portrait System
* Smile Timer automatically releases the shutter when your subject smiles.
* In-Camera Red-Eye Fix automatically corrects most instances of red-eye as you shoot. You may never see red-eye again.
* Face-Priority AF. Nikon’s face-finding technology automatically detects up to 12 faces.
* Skin Softening smoothes skin tones at three different levels for optimal portraits; can be applied while shooting or during playback.
* Blink Warning alerts you if a subject has blinked.
* 17 Scene modes including Scene Auto Selector
* Scene Auto Selector automatically recognizes the scene you’re shooting and selects the most appropriate scene mode; offers six scene modes plus auto.
* Macro shooting as close as 0.4 inches.
* 220 still shots (approx.) with supplied EN-EL12 Li-ion rechargeable battery.
See also: Digital Camera | Nikon