Last update: Review & Sample Photos @ ImagingResource (13 September’07)
The Nikon Coolpix S50C (announced 20 February’07) is a 7.1 million effective pixel point-and-shoot digital camera features 3x optical zoom with Vibration Reduction (VR), Built-in Wifi 802.11b/g, Choice of 15 Scene modes, ISO setting 100-1600, PictBridge, and a 3″ LCD screen. The camera measures 88 x 51 x 22 mm (3.5 x 2 x 0.9 in), weighs 165 g (5.8 oz) and it runs on Nikon EN-EL8 Lithium-Ion which delivers high performance in a compact package.
Overall Rating: | Latest Price Info
Nikon Coolpix S50C Reviews
ImagingResource reviews the Nikon Coolpix S50C and writes;
“The Nikon S50c was, in a word, disappointing. Image quality, performance, WiFi capability all left me looking for more, overshadowing the familiar Nikon strengths of a VR lens, D-Lighting, and In-Camera Red-Eye Fix automatically activated with Face Priority autofocus in Portrait mode.”
Pocket-Lint reviews the Nikon Coolpix S50C and writes;
“There are some issues that tarnish the Coolpix S50c package; AF problems (a common thread on recent Nikon compacts, though not as bad as some recent Coolpix models I’ve reviewed) and the issues over the stunted WiFi functionality are particularly frustrating. But overall, the Coolpix S50c is easy to use, it looks lovely and it can be relied upon to create some nice shots under the right conditions.”
TrustedReviews reviews the Nikon Coolpix S50C and writes;
“The CoolPix S50c is an attractive and well-made camera, and the WiFi capability is both useful and easy to use, but its sluggish performance, unimpressive picture quality and very slow AF system are major problems. Considering the price, unless you really want that wireless connectivity it’s a hard camera to recommend.”
PCMag reviews the Nikon Coolpix S50C and writes;
“So, for those who don’t mind spending lots of time messing around with tech gadgets and plowing through plenty of instructions, the Nikon Coolpix s50c’s wireless features make it an alluring option. Though its image quality is decent, it’s certainly not the most awesome camera in terms of performance. Still, at least for now, it’s the best wireless point-and-shoot out there.”
CNET Asia reviews the Nikon Coolpix S50C and writes;
“To Nikon’s credit, the S50c’s wireless functioned flawlessly when we used it with a wireless router. Set up was simple, and fairly quick, on the camera. After we sent our first picture e-mail, we got an e-mail from CoolPix Connect 2 that prompted us to complete our registration at Nikon’s Web site, where we input the camera’s key (found in the wireless portion of the setup menu) and we were ready to go.”
CNET reviews the Nikon Coolpix S50C and writes;
“Image quality was good, but not outstanding, for an ultracompact… At the camera’s lowest sensitivity of ISO we saw almost no noise, but at ISO 200 noise crept in slightly, manifesting as tiny white specks, but it was only really viewable on monitors and not in prints. At ISO 400, noise grew and included some larger off-color speckles. While Nikon’s noise reduction algorithms smooth it out some, it still has a minor appearance in some prints. At ISO 800, noise obscures a large amount of finer detail when viewing on monitors and a significant amount of shadow detail is lost, though smaller prints should still be passable.”
Nikon Coolpix S50C Samples
Nikon Coolpix S50C User Manuals (PDF)
Click to view or right click and select Save Target As.. (Firefox) or Save link as.. (IE) to download
Nikon Coolpix S50C Press Release
The new Coolpix S50c produces stunning images as large as 16 x 20 inches. Featuring 7.2 megapixels and a 3x optical Zoom-Nikkor glass lens, the Coolpix S50c has a sleek, all-metal design that conveniently fits into a shirt pocket or purse. Optical VR Image Stabilization technology minimizes the effect of camera shake. The huge, bright 3.0-inch LCD offers 170-degree wide angle-of-view, making it simple to compose and share pictures. Built-in wireless allows you to e-mail pictures directly from the camera, and more!
The Coolpix S50c also features 15 specially-programmed modes to automatically handle focus, exposure, white balance and other adjustments that help you take great pictures easily.
Nikon Coolpix S50c Highlights
VR Optical Image Stabilization Stability advanced… images enhanced. You can shoot sharper, clearer and without blur with Nikon’s ingenious VR Optical Image Stabilization technology improves stability by automatically compensating for camera shake.With Nikon Optical VR Image Stabilization you can shoot at shutter speeds up to three stops slower than other wise possible without camera shake blurring your pictures.
3x Optical Zoom-Nikkor glass lens High-quality lenses deliver high-quality pictures. The Zoom-Nikkor glass lens gives you the power of 3x optical zoom lens 38mm-116mm (35mm equivalent), while Macro capability lets you get as close as 1.6 inches. This combination is supported by Nikons’ world-renowned optical technology delivering crisp, clear images.
New 1600 ISO capability See what you’ve been missing. High-light sensitivity up to ISO 1600 opens up a whole new world of photo opportunity. Allowing you to tackle scenes and situations far beyond the capabilities of conventional compacts, high ISO offers you new power to capture fast-moving objects with outstanding clarity and gives you great exposure in significantly lower light.
Wider enjoyment with huge, bright, high-resolution LCD The Coolpix S50c is equipped with a huge, bright 3.0-inch LCD great for viewing images anywhere, anytime. The impressive 170-degree wide viewing angle makes it easier for everyone to see and enjoy images. The larger high-resolution LCD lets you make the most of smooth, sharp movies, great-looking stills and exciting Pictmotion shows.
Nikon In-Camera Innovations
* Rotary multi-selector Swift circular scrolling action allows speedy image browsing at up to 10 images per second. On-screen icon with cursor tracks scrolling for easy feature selection.
* Auto image rotation Detects pictures that have been taken with thecamera held vertically and automatically rotates the image for in-camera LCD playback.
* Anti-shake button overcomes camera shake by activating optical VR image stabilization, High- Sensitivity mode and Best Shot Selector all at once, providing images that are steady and sharp.
* In-camera cropping Allows you to crop out the part of the image you don’t want and keep the part you do.
* Blur warning Alerts you to a burry image.
* Noise Reduction mode Minimizes digital artifacts in long exposures.
* Best Shot selector Enables the camera to take a series of photos and automatically select the one with the sharpest focus.
* Voice Memo function Records up to 5 hours of sound that can be then attached to an image, or played back alone as a wav file.
* Date and time imprinting Available to document the exact time and date that your photo is taken.
* In-Camera Red-Eye Fix This in-camera feature automatically fixes most typical occurrences of red-eye.
* D-Lighting Compensates for underexposed images or insufficient flash by automatically adding light and detail to selected shots where needed — without affecting properly exposed areas.
* One-Touch Portrait mode Your shortcut to three unique innovations, it offers instant access to Face-priority AF and In-Camera Red-Eye Fix for optimized image capture and lets you transform exposure with Nikon’s powerful D-Lighting advantage.
* Face-Priority AF Automatically finds and focuses on people’s faces to ensure superb portraits with clear, crisp focus.
Pictmotion Reshape the way you share. Pictmotion allows you to select your favorite images and movies, decide on a style, and pick one of five pre-installed music files or add your own. Pictmotion automatically combines your elements in a polished production, with transitions and style synced to your music.
Coolpix Connect 2 See It. Shoot It. Send It. Store It. Wow! Imagine being able to take a picture of your vacation and show it to friends across the world in mere seconds or even store it on a server to download when you return! The new Coolpix S50c with its Coolpix Connect 2 service allows you to both email and store your pictures remotely*. The new Coolpix Connect 2 service lets you choose a photo, select recipients from your in-camera email address list, and send the picture straight from the camera for viewing on a PC anywhere. In addition, this new service allows you to upload up to 2GB of images remotely, store them, and/or retrieve them for download at a later time. The Coolpix S50c with its Coolpix Connect 2 service makes this Nikon’s most advanced picture-sharing service ever!
See also: Digital Camera | Nikon