Last updated (31 July’10):
- Review by Naturfotograf
The Nikon 200mm f/2G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikkor features 200mm at focal length with maximum aperture of f/2. The lens construction has 13 elements in 9 groups and has diagonal angle of view at 12.3 degrees. Closest focusing distance at 6.2ft.(1.9m) and has a filter size of 52mm. The Nikon 200mm f/2G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikkor lens weighs 102.3 oz. (2,900g) and it measures 4.4 inches in diameter and 8.0 inches long.
Overall Rating: | Latest Price Info
Nikon 200mm f/2G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikkor Reviews
Naturfotograf reviews the Nikon 200mm f/2G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikkor and writes;
“You would expect a long, fast lens to render the background pleasantly unsharp. The manual precedessor, the 200/2, did this and the AFS version does it one better. In fact, it has about the nicest bokeh of any lens I’ve ever used. So soft, veiled and delicate as baby’s skin. Designating the out-of-focus rendition of this lens as “Creamy ” isn’t encompassing enough, there are much more to it than that.”
Photozone reviews the Nikon 200mm f/2G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikkor and writes;
“The build quality is excellent, AF is extremely fast and the VR unit works as promised. In addition, the lens combines very well with all three available tele converters, adding even more usage scenarios than the already obvious ones (basically anything that requires shallow DOF and/or fast shutter speeds, like portraiture, indoor and outdoor sports, kids, etc.)”
Nikonians reviews the Nikon 200mm f/2G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikkor and writes;
“Extremely well built, it is a well gasket sealed and robust lens, producing a nice creamy bokeh, reminiscent of that of the 85mm f/1.4 Nikkor and even improving over its excellent manual AI-S predecessor. Its foot, much better than that found in the AF-S long zooms.. Excellent sharpness, with crisp detail even under low contrast overcast days and wide open with a TC20E. Surely outresolves any digital sensor today, with no visible chromatic aberration.”
Nikon 200mm f/2G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikkor User Reviews
Best of the best | Rating:
“The only drawback is that it weighs a TON (better start doing your push-ups!). But, when you see the shots it produces, the weight is no longer a problem. I used a 70-200VR prior to this purchase, and it is/was a great lens, but it isn’t even in the 200′s class..” – by Felix Gumby
Worth every pound (of the 2.9kg) – feedbacks vs the 300mm f/2.8 | Rating:
“It weights as much as the af-s 300mm f/2.8 (gen 1) but is about 2.5″ shorter in length. The primary lens is the same size, and it’s a chore to lug around. 10lbs to be exact with a D700 and a battery grip. The personality of the lens, e.g. sharpness, bokeh, is similar to the 105mm DC Nikkor f/2, except it has faster focus, able to shoot a couple of stops faster with VR, and has a 200mm focal length..” – by Shawn Chen
Nikon 200mm f/2G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikkor Sample Photos
- Nikon 200mm f/2G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikkor Sample Photos @ Photozone.de
- Nikon 200mm f/2G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikkor Sample Photos @ Mylensdb.com
- Nikon 200mm f/2G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikkor Sample Photos @ Flickr.com
- Nikon 200mm f/2G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikkor Sample Photos @ Pbase.com
- Nikon 200mm f/2G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikkor Sample Photos @ Amazon.com
Nikon 200mm f/2G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikkor User Manual
- Download Nikon 200mm f/2G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikkor User Manual (PDF – 1.3Mb)
Nikon 200mm f/2G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikkor Specifications
The Nikon 200mm f2G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikkor super-telephoto lens offers professional photographers the latest innovations in lens technology and optical design. The lens offers unprecedented image quality, responsiveness, and versatility along with new features such as Nikon’s VR II Vibration Reduction technology and Nikon’s exclusive Nano Crystal Coat. This lens is designed for use with Nikon’s FX and DX format digital SLR cameras.
This new super-telephoto lens is equipped with Nikon’s VR II Vibration Reduction system that minimizes image blur caused by camera shake and offers up to four stops of compensation for clean, crisp images. When using Nikon’s VR function, photographers can view a stabilized image through the viewfinder and therefore are able to compose their pictures naturally and with greater accuracy. A Tripod mode in the camera reduces vibration that may occur at shutter release when shooting with a super-telephoto lens attached to a tripod.
The new optical design features three ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements that minimize chromatic aberration, producing consistently high-quality images. Nikon’s exclusive Nano Crystal Coat–an extra-low refractive index coating–virtually eliminates internal lens element reflections across a wide range of wavelengths and is particularly effective in reducing ghosting and flare. A meniscus protective glass element also minimizes the ghosting that occurs when light reflected from a digital camera’s image sensor is in turn reflected off an ordinary flat protective glass element.
The lens also features ergonomically arranged controls that enable easy access and comfortable operation. The Focus Preset function instantly recalls a focal point preset with a simple push of a button while the Focus Limiter switch restricts AF-servo movement to a controlled shooting distance range. The lens also features an AF-L switch that makes it possible to lock focus from the lens, and AF-ON engages autofocus from the lens.
By employing magnesium die-cast in construction of the lens barrel, Nikon has achieved considerable weight reduction advantages without sacrificing rugged field-proven construction that’s resistant to both dust and moisture.
* Fast f2.0 capability which effectively allows subjects to be given more emphasis by throwing background elements out of focus.
* Exclusive Silent Wave Motor enables ultra-high-speed autofocusing with exceptional accuracy and powerful super-quiet operation.
* VR (Vibration Reduction) operation offers the equivalent of using a shutter speed three stops faster. In addition, active vibration mode selection possible for use in active situations such as a moving boat, car, or plane. VR automatically detects panning, and it has an available on/off mode.
* New Super ED glass excels at eliminating secondary spectrum and correcting chromatic aberration and offers low refractive index and lower dispersion. Also Super ED Glass is more resilient to rapid temperature changes.
* M/A mode enables instant switching from autofocus to manual with virtually no lag time even during AF servo operation.
* Internal Focusing (IF) design for smoother focusing.
* Electronic Focus Preset operation.
* Rounded diaphragm blades (9 blades) for natural blur.
* High Performance Nikon Super Integrated Coating offers superior color reproduction and minimizes ghost and flare.
* New G design enables aperture selection from select 35mm AF SLR and DSLR camera bodies and incorporates distance information for flash and ambient light exposure processes.
* Fully compatible with Nikon TC-14E II, TC-17E II, and TC-20E II teleconverters.
* Focuses as close as 6.2 feet.
* Detachable hood (HK-31) and rotating tripod collar.
See also: Lens Reviews | Nikon Lenses