Last updated (09 March’12):
- Review by Ephotozine
The Nikon 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S VR features 200-400mm at focal length with maximum aperture of f/4. The lens construction has 24 elements in 17 groups and has diagonal angle of view at 12.3 degrees. Closest focusing distance at 6.6ft.(2m) and has a filter size of 52mm. The Nikon 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S VR lens weighs 7.3 pounds and it measures 4.9 inches in diameter and 1.2 feet long.
Overall Rating: | Latest Price Info
Nikon 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S VR Reviews
Ephotozine reviews the Nikon 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S VR and writes;
“It is razor sharp from the widest aperture throughout the focal range. As the zoom ratio is only 2:1, there are very few compromises that have had to be made and this shows dividends in the end results. Even with the sophisticated computer analysis of files that we use, things like distortion, chromatic aberration and vignetting were virtually immeasurable. Contrast is rendered superbly and nobody who uses this lens will be disappointed with the results that it produces.”
Photodo reviews the Nikon 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S VR and writes;
“Exceptionally for a zoom lens, it is sharpest when wide open and there is virtually no degradation of the picture quality as the focal length increases. As might be expected, the OOF highlights proved most pleasing.. The autofocus is so quick (on the right camera) that it will not only track, but catch up with things like fast birds flying directly towards you.”
Bythom reviews the Nikon 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S VR and writes;
“Chromatic aberration: Very consistent and at very low levels across all the apertures and focal lengths. Surprising for a zoom lens, actually. Those four ED elements are doing their job.. Distortion: close to zilch. I can’t get an accurate measurement for linear distortion off my test charts, as it’s well less than a half percent (barrel).”
Kenrockwell reviews the Nikon 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S VR and writes;
“AF is fast; faster than you’d expect if you haven’t used any serious professional Nikon lenses before. Bokeh is usually neutral to nice. The 200-400mm f/4 VR AF-S has no visible distortion, which is extraordinary for a zoom. By “sharp shots” I mean perfect tripod-equivalent sharpness when viewed at 100%, as shot on a D300 by me. For most uses, one can use much slower speeds.”
Nikon 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S VR User Reviews
Excellent zoom telephoto | Rating:
“The image quality delivered by the 200-400 mm is excellent. The lens itself is very well constructed. While the 200-400 mm is heavy at 7 lbs+. it balances well on the tripod mount. The VR feature works well on this lens. Images are well-saturated with excellent contrast and crisp detail. A great lens for nature photography…” – by Boca
One awesome lens!! | Rating:
“Lens works like a champ and takes sharp pictures. Work’s very well with the Nikon TC-14E II converter and I would like to try the TC-17E also with it. I have mostly been using it to shoot Eagles in flight and have got some very nice shots…” – by D. Holt
Worth every penny! | Rating:
“The build is very nice. None of the ugly cheap plastic on the barrel as you see on inexpensive zooms. This is well made, in Japan. No expense was spared. The results are phenomenal. I zoomed in on the laptop and the image was pixelating and still retained sharpness!..” – by R. McLaughlin
Simply amazing | Rating:
“The focus is fast, the image quality is incredible, the drop in filter and the memory set a very nice feature, the VR is a dream and I managed to shoot images which I would have otherwise not been able to get…” – by Dee Woltereck
Very Pleased! | Rating:
“It is very fast, sharp and hmmm should I say heavy too?? I am very pleased with amazon for this and I can’t complain at this time…” – by Edgar H. Tan, MD
An absolute jewel of a lens… if you only buy one long lens, it should be this one. | Rating:
“The image quality is incredible, the AF performance is extremely fast, and there is not much of a difference in either IQ or AF from this lens to any of the big primes..” – by Rodolfo Paiz
Nikon 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S VR Sample Photos
- Nikon 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S VR Sample Photos @ Mylensdb.com
- Nikon 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S VR Sample Photos @ Pixel-thingy.com
- Nikon 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S VR Sample Photos @ Pixel-peeper.com
- Nikon 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S VR Sample Photos @ Photographyreview.com
- Nikon 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S VR Sample Photos @ Pbase.com
- Nikon 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S VR Sample Photos @ Flickr.com
- Nikon 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S VR Sample Photos @ Amazon.com
Nikon 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S VR User Manual
- Download Nikon 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S VR User Manual (PDF – 1.3Mb)
Nikon 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S VR Specifications
This is the world’s first AF-S VR super-telephoto 200-400mm zoom lens. The Nikon 200-400mm f4G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom Nikkor telephoto lens features Nikon’s remarkable Vibration Reduction (VR) technology and is designed to work seamlessly with Nikon’s digital SLR cameras. The lens offers sports, action, bird, and wildlife photographers a high level of quality, precision, and performance. With VR (Vibration Reduction), photographers to take high-quality handheld shots indoors and in dark locations at shutter speeds three stops slower without compromising the sharpness of the picture.
* Combines four fixed focal length super-telephoto lenses into a single compact super-telephoto AF Zoom Nikkor lens.
* VR operation offers the equivalent of using a shutter speed 3 stops faster.
* Two VR Modes: Normal mode or Active Mode for when taking pictures with extreme movement.
* Automatically detects when photographer is panning and compensates.
* Compatible with Nikon TC-14E II, TC-17E II, and TC-20E II Teleconverters, AF operation only with TC14E II.
* Exclusive Silent Wave Motor enables ultra-high-speed autofocusing with exceptional accuracy and powerful super-quiet operation.
* 4 Extra-Low Dispersion (ED) glass elements minimizes chromatic aberration and provides higher resolution and superior contrast.
* Minimum focus distance of 6.2 feet at all focal lengths.
* Internal Focusing (IF) design for smoother focusing and great body balance.
* M/A mode enables instant switching from autofocus to manual with virtually no time lag even during AF servo operation.
* No power consumption during manual focus operation.
* Rounded diaphragm (9 blades) for natural blur.
* Nikon D-type design provides precise distance information for flash and ambient light exposure processes.
* Detachable tripod mounting collar provided.
* G design enables apertures to be selected from select Nikon AF SLR camera bodies.
See also: Lens Reviews | Nikon Lenses