Last updated (11 June’13):
- Review by Nikonians
Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX is a telephoto lens features 18-200mm at focal length with maximum aperture of F/3.5-5.6. The lens construction has 16 elements in 12 groups and has diagonal angle of view at 76 degrees. Closest focusing distance at 1.6ft.(0.5m) and has a filter size of 72mm. The Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX lens weighs 19.8 oz. (560g) and it measures 3.0 inches in diameter and 3.8 inches long.
Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Reviews
Nikonians reviews the Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX and writes;
“This is one impressive little lens. It’s sufficiently well-built for most users, performs well and covers an enormous range of focal lengths. Any lens that covers 18-200mm is going to be a balance of design compromises, and this lens is no exception. “
Ephotozine reviews the Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX and writes;
“What is pleasing about the lens is the contrast, which is good to excellent throughout the range. Another area that has been well controlled is that of Chromatic aberration, which, although it does exist, has been, evened out well enough for it not to show to any great extent at any point. “
Photocrati reviews the Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX and writes;
“Flare was never a problem under ordinary circumstances–I only observed one instance of ghosting that I can recall. And I found the lens did a really nice job with out-of-focus backgrounds at wider apertures, rendering garden shots of flowers with an almost painterly-like quality.”
Digitalrev reviews the Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX and writes;
“The photos were sharp, focused instantly and gave us no hint of any distortion. The contrast was good, there was no hint of chromatic aberration in any focal length and neither was there any whisper of darkening on the edges. The 18-200mm comes with a HB-35 hood, which is there to prevent glares and flares. It was pretty good at keeping bright sunrays out.”
SLRGear reviews the Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX and writes;
“The good news is that the center of the frame is generally pretty sharp, the corner softness improves rapidly as you move away from the corners, and stopping down by one or two f-stops significantly improves corner sharpness. Center sharpness when stopped down to f/8 is excellent at shorter focal lengths…”
Digitalreview reviews the Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX and writes;
“The sharpness and optical quality of the DX 18-200mm VR seems very good taking into account the broad 11x zoom range offered. The incorporated ED glass and aspherical elements contribute to this achievement. Overall, we feel the new Nikkor AF-S DX 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G VR IF-ED will make for a nice “all in one” walk around lens, great if you don’t want to carry a lot of gear with you. “
Photodo reviews the Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX and writes;
“As a general lens that covers a large focal range, this one produced nice results and the quick, silent autofocus along with the upgraded Vibration Reduction made it a joy to use. While not really up to producing big enlargements, it did well enough up to A4 from a desktop printer and the advantages of not having to constantly change lenses will be a boon for many.”
Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Reviews
Review Video By cameralabs
Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Sample Photos
- Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Sample Photos @ Photographyreview.com
- Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Sample Photos @ Flickr.com
- Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Sample Photos @ Photozone.de
- Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Sample Photos @ Cameralabs.com
- Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Sample Photos @ Digitalreview.ca
- Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Sample Photos @ Pbase.com
- Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Sample Photos @ Pixel-peeper.com
- Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Sample Photos @ Amazon.com
Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX User Manual
- Download Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX User Manual (PDF – 6.1Mb)
Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Specifications
From the Manufacturer The 18-200mm f3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor lens is a compact, lightweight, 11.1x zoom lens that is ideal for high-performance, everyday photography, and it incorporates advanced features such as Nikon’s Extra Low Dispersion (ED) glass, Silent Wave Motor technology (SWM), and Enhanced Vibration Reduction (VR II) in a DX-Nikkor design engineered exclusively for use with Nikon DX format digital SLR cameras.
With a remarkable 18-200mm focal length range (picture angle equivalent to a 27-300mm lens in 35mm format), the lens conveniently covers everything from wide landscapes to tight portraits and action photography. Advanced Nikon engineering has lent the lens a compact, lightweight design that offers excellent handling characteristics and superb optical quality.
Beyond the lens’s incredible optical versatility is the benefit of Enhanced VR II Vibration Reduction, an innovation that makes it possible to take substantially sharper handheld pictures at slower shutter speeds than would otherwise be possible. This provides the distinct advantage of being able to shoot more effectively in a much broader variety of challenging conditions.
With the new Nikon VR II advantage, users can take pictures at shutter speeds as many as 4 stops slower than they ordinarily could shoot without the image-degrading blur associated with camera shake at slow shutter speeds. Nikon’s VR technology further enhances picture-taking potential with a choice of two modes to match most shooting conditions. VR Normal Mode primarily compensates for camera shake, and includes automatic panning detection, as well as automatic tripod detection. VR Active Mode effectively compensates for vibration in situations where it is more pronounced and more frequent, such as when shooting from a moving vehicle.
To further ensure outstanding optical performance, the 18-200mm f3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor features two Extra-Low Dispersion (ED) glass elements and three complex aspherical lens elements that provide for higher resolution, high-contrast images while minimizing chromatic aberration, astigmatism, and other forms of distortion. The lens also features Nikon’s compact Silent Wave Motor technology (SWM), which combines fast and precise autofocusing with super-quiet operation, as well as Internal Focusing (IF) construction that allows the lens to focus without changing its external size, improving balance and handling chrematistics.
All of Nikon’s DX Nikkor lenses are engineered exclusively for use with Nikon DX format digital SLR cameras, making the lens smaller and lighter while providing exceptional center-to-edge-to-corner image quality and overall optical performance.
Major features of the Nikon 18-200mm f3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor lens:
* Offers a broad 18-200mm focal range (11.1x zoom) for use in a variety of situations (equivalent to a 27-300 mm lens in 35mm format); VR II Vibration Reduction system offers the practical equivalent of using a shutter speed 4 stops faster
* Two ED glass and three complex aspherical lens elements minimize chromatic aberration, astigmatism, and other forms of distortion while ensuring high resolution and contrast
* Incorporates a compact SWM (Silent Wave Motor) for quiet focusing. Delivers high-level optical performance that is specially designed for use with the Nikon digital SLRs
* Employs a seven-blade, rounded diaphragm opening that achieves a natural blur for out-of-focus elements
* Enables focusing from as close as 50 centimeters (20 inches) from the subject through its entire focal range
* M/A mode for rapid switching between autofocus and manual focus operation
* Internal Focusing (IF) design simplifies the use of circular polarizing filters
* Nikon Super Integrated Coating (SIC) offers superb color reproduction while minimizing ghosting and flare
* Flower-shaped lens hood HB-35 (included) greatly reduces stray light, enhancing image quality
See also: Lens Reviews | Nikon Lenses