Kata R-103 GDC Rucksack is camera bag to hold a Digital / SLR body with up to 300mm lens attached, an extra body, 4-5 lenses or a mini DV camcorder and accessories. The bag features Two outside pockets, two detachable interior mesh pockets, and a laptop compartment with Main compartment stores the camera in the center; quick draw via small top opening flap includes Exterior made of highly durable, waterproof TST (Thermo Shield Technology) completed with Padded shoulder strap, detachable hip belt. The Kata R-103 GDC Rucksack has exterior size 14.17 x 7.9 x 20.8″ (36 x 20 x 53 cm) (LxWxH), interior size 12.9 x 5.9 x 17.7″ (33 x 15 x 45 cm) (LxWxH), and weighs 3.74 lbs (1.7kg).
Overall Rating: | Latest Price Info
Kata R-103 GDC Rucksack User Reviews
Exactly what I need for adventuring and touring
“I held a canon 40d with 16-35L and hood, 75-300 with hood, and 28-135 with hood, a panasonic GS 300, batteries, gorrila tripod, cords and chargers for both, small canned air, instruction manual, personal journal(in the laptop case), pens, maps, 12 mini DV video cassettes, and filters for all the above lenses (polarizing and UV) as well as a Shure SM 58 mic with a cord. It’s got great interior room!..” – By JG
Good travel bag
“I got this bag mainly for flying with the laptop or when I know I will need to use the telephoto lens. I use it to carry my Nikon D3 and D300 with 24-70mm, 70-200mm, 12-24mm DX, 50/f1.8 lens and a SB-800 speedlight. The bag is very comfortable on your shoulder and back. The laptop slot fits my Lenovo T60 15.4″ laptop. It’s snug but fits just fine. It’s not as convenient as the shoulder bags so generally around town, I use the Lowepro Stealth Reporter. “ – By mikemi
Solid! Comfortable, holds a lot
“After reading several reviews, I decided on the Kata R-103. I needed a backpack to hold camera equipment as well as a laptop. This has met my needs. I can hold a macbook, a Nikon D300 with 70-200 lens, flash, a couple spare lenses as well as a small Sony HDR CX12 video camera, plus miscellaneous items (batteries, lens filters, cleaning supplies, etc). The outer shell is rugged, sturdy and well designed to provide protection to your valuables. Although I have not tried it yet, I should be able to attach my tripod and or mono pod to the back pack as well. The only real limitation is me (how much I’, willing to carry over an expended period of time). The back pack can certainly handle it. “ – By Dyk O. Zapata
Very satisfied with this DSLR bag
“The construction is rugged, stylish & well through off. I have my 40D with 70-200 f/4 IS lens + 17-85 & and many small items like filters, batteries, charger, Flash cards in my bag & yet it feels very light. “ – By Michael Anburaj
Fits LOTS of stuff in here
“This thing fits all my gear and fells very comfortable to wear, even for long periods of time. I have a 28-80, 70-300, 50, a Kiron lens roughly the same size as the 70-300, a 40d, lens hoods, battery charger, straps, filters, cleaning supplies, etc in this. I usually keep the 70-300 on the camera in the center. In and out without issue.” – By J. Lane
The perfect camera backpack
“The extras that come with this backpack are amazing, mine came with 2 sets of camera straps and one reflex e neck strap (that I love). On that bag it did say it was free while supplies last. The rain gear cover will be wonderful to use, and I do not think the pictures really describe the tripod holder well enough. It comes with the straps to attach it to the backpack as well as a stiff cup like pouch to hold the tripod.” – By S. Anderson
“The KATA-R 103 allows me to carry my my DSLR with a 70-200 lens attached, an 18-70 lens, spare camera batteries, a camera battery charger, rocket blower, CF card reader, lens pen, notebook and notebook charger, MP3 player and headphones all together WITH some space leftover. It is designed with 3 access / storage zones. A rear zone for the laptop which is amply padded, the middle zone where all your photography equipment is kept safe and a front access slot which gives you quick access to your camera. Inside, the padding and velcro dividers are bright yellow , which makes it easier to find your equipment in low light conditions. You can also customize the included velcro dividers to suit your packing style / equipment requirements…” – By KSBAY
I love this bag
“I’ve had mine for a little over 3 years now, and I absolutely love this bag. As others have said, it’s very good at protecting equipment inside, and is well-made and tough. It is pretty rigid, which is great for protecting its contents but it does prevent it from being compressible to fit into tight spaces. For a photo backpack, I think this is a trade-off worth making. It is sized perfectly for sliding under an airline seat in coach. It fills up the space but with just enough room to be able to access the contents with only minimal hassle…” – By Matthew Gelhaus
Kata R-103 GDC Rucksack Expert Reviews
Kata R-103 GDC Rucksack Features & Specifications
The Kata R-103 GDC Rucksack (Gray) can be configures as a photo or video backpack. The ergonomic harness includes a cushioning and shock absorbing system, which allows for optimal ventilation, weight distribution and 5-point adjustment mechanism. It includes a well-padded dividing set, which allows you to organize it to fit your requirements, and two detachable mesh pouches. Additional accessories, tapes, batteries, filters, charger, cables and personal essentials can be stored in the spacious arched lid compartment, the two outside pockets and the central mesh/vinyl pocket. The design gives quick, separate access to the camcorder in the central compartment, while the rest of the equipment surrounding it remains secure.
The R-103 includes a TST tripod holder with its connecting V shape device and an upper adjustable strap (the tripod can be carried on the central part of the Rucksack or on one of the sides). Special camera straps can be attached to the D rings on the harness and will take the camera load off your neck (they can be turned into a regular camera strap by connecting to the provided extender). A detachable hip belt can be connected to the bottom back loops that are designated to attach the backpack to the Kata EPH system. Full protection on the main zipper and cover make sure your sensitive equipment is well protected from the elements.
* Quick and separate access to the camera in the central compartment or full opening of the bag for better access to the rest of the items
* The Modi-Vers System allows you to create compartments that meet your requirements. The divider can be cut with scissors to any desired size. You can attach the newly cut divider to another divider or the walls of the bag with a special Touch Fastener connector.
* TST (Thermo-Shield-Technology) protects the digital equipment while creating an extremely light product. The outer surface of the TST is thermo-formed in a protective “riibshape” construction. It is a double cord, water and dust proof, high tenacity and abrasion-resistance fabric. Underneath is a cross-linked, closed cell PE+EVA shield that provides insulation from cold, heat and moisture as well protection from impact and shock.
* EPH Ergonomic Photo System is a modular and versatile accessory system. It allows you to adjust the configuration of the bag by attaching up to 3 EPH system accessory products.
* TST Tripod Holder is a modular and versatile sling pouch designed to connect your tripod on the outside of the Kata backpacks.
* Modular padded main compartment
* Arched lid compartment
* Two outside pockets
* Two detachable mesh pockets on the inside of the backpack
* Laptop compartment on the back
* The included Elements Cover is used in rain or snow black side out, and in sun reverse to silver for heat reflection.
* Digital or photo SLR body with up to 300mm lens attached, an extra body, 4-5 lenses + Laptop + accessories
* Similar-sized SLR camera kits
* DV camcorders such as; Canon GL-2, Sony PD-170, Panasonic DVX100A and JVC GY-DV300, GR SXM37, GR AXM17, GR SXM260 plus additional accessories, tapes, batteries, filters, charger, cables and personal essentials
* Sililar sized camcorder kits
See also: Accessories | Camera Bags