Canon PIXMA MP990 is a Wireless All-In-One Photo Printer features a built-in Wi-Fi capability, a maximum resolution of 9600 x 24002, a Film Adapter Unit to scan 35mm film and slides so you can reprint them, and a 3.8″ LCD Screen. The Canon PIXMA MP990 measures 18.5″ x 15.2″ x 7.9″ (W x D x H) and weighs 23.6 lb.
Overall Rating: | Latest Price Info
Canon PIXMA MP990 Reviews
Digitalversus reviews the Canon PIXMA MP990 and writes;
“The real strength of this printer is that it does everything well. It gets five stars for document print quality as well as for colour and black & white photos. That’s rare to see, and the same certainly can’t be said for the Epson Stylus Photo printer, which prints excellent photos but lets itself down on documents. In our test image below, the MP990 delivers print quality that’s precise, easy to read and with accurate colours. “
Trustedreviews reviews the Canon PIXMA MP990 and writes;
“As the top-ranking all-in-one in Canon’s range, the PIXMA MP990 includes wireless connection, CD/DVD print, transparency and negative scanning and an extra grey ink for improved black and white prints. Print quality is excellent and speeds, though a little erratic, are in the same order as its main rivals. For the given feature set, the price is not unduly high and overall it deserves a recommendation.”
Printercomparison reviews the Canon PIXMA MP990 and writes;
“It was hard coming up with cons for the Pixma MP990 because it is such a useful printer. It does everything well, minus the occasional wait for the printer to prepare itself and a few half prints. The photo quality is fabulous and I loved being able to scan in all my old film I had at my house (luckily I’m a pack rat so I still had all my old film negatives). The MP990 does not have a dedicated photo tray but I actually prefer the 2-way feeding because it allows printer to hold more paper in the tray.”
Expertreviews reviews the Canon PIXMA MP990 and writes;
“The MP990’s photo scanning capabilities are particularly good. Separate objects on the platen are correctly detected and individually scanned. A screen in the lid of the scanner can be removed to reveal a backlight and a negative frame, which can take a film strip of up to six photos. Scan quality was sharp and clear, with particularly accurate colour and subtle gradation, with distinct variations in tone reproduced on even our murkiest negative scans.”
PCmag reviews the Canon PIXMA MP990 and writes;
“The MP990 did a particularly good job with black and white photos, which were suitably neutral in tone. The quality overall isn’t quite a match for a professional photo lab or far more expensive near-dedicated photo printers, but it’s certainly top-tier quality for a sub-$500 inkjet, with photos suitable for framing. The photos also promise to last…”
Computershopper reviews the Canon PIXMA MP990 and writes;
“That said, the print quality is worth waiting for: It’s excellent to outstanding. Text is sharp and legible, down to 4-point type, even in Standard mode. Draft mode shows “jaggies” (as one would expect), but the text is still quite legible. Text characters in Fine mode are beautifully formed, as good as (or even better than) many laser printers…”
Canon PIXMA MP990 User Reviews
Surprisingly Good, | Rating:
“This printer is excellent at all tasks. I’ve had no problems with any function, and my expectations have been exceeded in most areas. It’s reliable, intuitive, precise, and flexible. If this machine is in your list of finalists, I recommend looking no further.” – by Jim Winterbourne
Great quality. Hard to find supplies., | Rating:
“The MP990 is a fantastic all-in-one. I love the copy features and beautiful photo quality prints. But be aware: it is not incredibly fast, it is not quiet, my cats try to climb on the output tray, and it sucks ink like a Hummer sucks gas.” – by S Bear Devitt
Excellent Value, | Rating:
“I’ve only had this for a few days, but I can report the scanner and printer are both easy to use and so far I am pleased with the functioning, speed and quality of everything. I was interested in this model because you can scan 35mm film with it and I have lots of old slides…” – by Canon Fan
Sucks through ink but isn’t so bad if you use Meritline, | Rating:
“This was really easy to set up. The only problem I had was entering my wifi password in caps. Luckily I scrolled backwards to to get to the last letter (U) and found the lower case. I wasn’t even thinking about it due to the scrolling input System. Setting everything else up was great. The instructions came up on the LCD and I was done in about 15 minutes (10 was waiting for cleaning and calibrating) “ – by Joshua D. Martin
Big Printer, | Rating:
“This is a pretty large printer. In fact, it’s huge. I was pretty surprised when it came. Wireless set up was fairly easy on a Mac. On Windows 7 it was even easier. As for the scanning, it works really well. Almost too well. Trying to scan at maximum res will hog even the newest systems (I have the newest iMac)so chances are that this printer will last longer than your computer. “ – by J. Jorgensen
Prints crisply, quietly, and rapidly, | Rating:
“Great item. Had my initial reservations of getting the “right” printer. In the end, this printer indeed was and is the best I’ve had to date. Cheap, quiet and crisp in its photo and text printouts. I’d buy again without any reservations.” – by Ron P
Great Prints, just set it up for your usage, | Rating:
“Photo quality is at least as good as any Walgreens/CVS/Wal-Mart Prints. I did notice right away the problem with excessive ink usage though, especially with cleaning. After reading through Canon’s site, I found what I hope is a remedy. Apparently, at default setup, even printing black and white text will use the color inks as well..” – by Bryan Gruber
Another great Canon, so far, | Rating:
“I copied several bills yesterday, one of which had been water-damaged; I thought at first that the MP990 had done a lousy job copying it, as there was some dropout on a few of the letters, then realized the original had the same problem. The copy was, overall, better than the original..” – by phsiii
Awesome printer,… | Rating:
“First thing first – our new ability to print to one printer wirelessly from any location in the house is worth its weight in gold. This makes my family very happy. Second – this thing is so feature rich for the price I highly reccomend that anyone with an older printer just take the leap and upgrade….” – by Adam Kowal
Canon PIXMA MP990 Brochure & User Guide
Canon PIXMA MP990 Features
The PIXMA MP990 is the ultimate Wireless All-In-One Photo Printer. You’ll experience peak performance once it’s taken out of the box and hooked-up. This unmatched quality begins with a built-in Wi-Fi capability that lets you print wirelessly1 from anywhere around the house. You can also connect to a wired network if you choose via built-in Ethernet. Built-in Auto Duplex Printing helps you keep it green by automatically printing on both sides of the paper, which can help reduce your paper cost by 50%.
The PIXMA MP990 Wireless Inkjet Photo All-In-One touts a maximum resolution of 9600 x 24002 and boasts a six individual ink tank system that includes a photo black and gray ink for professional color and black & white photos. Its superior 4800 dpi3 high-resolution CCD scanner includes a Film Adapter Unit to easily scan 35mm film and slides. Plus, the White LED eliminates warm-up time for document and photo scanning. The PIXMA MP990’s ease of use continues with a large 3.8″ Color LCD, the Easy Scroll Wheel, Auto Photo Fix II, Auto Scan Mode4, Quick Start and computer-free printing through compatible USB Flash Drives5, Memory Cards6, IrDA7 , PictBridge and optional Bluetooth8 devices. All of this with a gorgeous borderless 4″ x 6″ photo that prints in approx. 20 seconds!9,10
Speed & Quality
Superior Resolution: Realize the power of 9600 x 2400 maximum color dpi firing with 1pl ink droplet size. Incredible quality and detail in both your photos and business documents.
Premium, Six Individual Ink System with Gray Ink: This 6-color ink system consists of five dye-based inks including a gray ink for unmatched Black & White photos. The pigment-based black ink also produces crisp, laser-quality text for documents. So, you only replace the color ink tank that runs out.
Fast 4″ x 6″ Printing: Print a borderless 4″ x 6″ in approx. 20 seconds!
ChromaLife100+: This system combines enhanced FINE print head technology with select genuine Canon photo papers and inks for beautiful borderless photos that will last up to 300 years11 when stored in an archival-quality photo album.
Ease of Use
Built-In Auto Duplex Printing: Keep it green and print on both sides of the page without the hassle of turning it over manually. This can cut your paper usage by 50% so you save time, money and paper – plus you’re helping the environment!
Film Adapter Unit: This included unit makes it easy to scan 35mm film and slides so you can reprint your most cherished memories.
3.8″ LCD Screen: Easily view, select and edit your images for simple computer-free printing. No downloading needed, just pick your pic and print!
Easy Scroll Wheel: Easily and quickly access and select the various features available for faster operation.
Auto Photo Fix II: This built-in technology automatically categorizes your images into one of five types – Portrait, Scenery, Night Scenery, Snapshot with Scenery, and Snapshot with Night Scenery – then applies optimal image and multi-zone exposure correction. So, unexposed areas of the photo will be optimized, area by area and faces that are backlit and under-exposed will automatically be brightened with correct color cast to help ensure more accurate skin tones for gorgeous images.
Auto Scan Mode: Automatically recognizes the type of original, then scans and saves the suitable settings.
Beautiful & Borderless: Print borderless12, photo lab quality up to 8.5″ x 11″
2 Way Paper Feeding: This feature lets you load paper from the front cassette or rear tray so whether your printing on plain or photo paper, you’re ready to print!
Quick Start: Powering up your printer is now faster than ever. After pressing the power button you can begin inputting commands in mere seconds. So, full operation is possible in a much shorter time.
Dual Color Gamut Technology: Copy with confidence as this built-in technology automatically optimizes your copy quality based on the type of original you’re copying to help your copies stay true to it.
Built-in Wireless: Be free of the wires that bind youªÓ Print and scan wirelessly from any Wi-Fi enabled computer while you’re in another room.
Built-in Ethernet: This wired LAN interface lets you connect to a home or office network, with connected computers sharing the power of this versatile machine, each being able to display the printer’s status at any moment.
USB Flash Memory/Memory Cards / PictBridge/ IrDA & Optional Bluetooth: Don’t feel like using a computer? No problem. Just insert your compatible memory card into the built-in card slot, select images on the LCD display, and print! Thanks to a PictBridge connection you can also print photos directly from your USB Flash Memory Drive, digital camera, DV camcorder or camera phone13. Plus, you can print from a Bluetooth-enabled device using the optional BU-30 wireless Bluetooth unit.
USB 2.0 Hi-Speed: Plug the cable into your PC for a super-fast connection for your data transfers.
What’s in the Box?
# PIXMA MP990 Wireless Inkjet Photo All-In-One
# Document Kit: Cross Sell Sheet, Getting Started, Important Information Sheet, Network Troubleshooting Guide, Safety Environment Information, Setup Software & User’s Guide CD-ROM, Warranty Card
# Ink Tanks: PGI-220 Pigment Black, CLI-221 (Cyan/Magenta/Yellow/Black/Gray)
# Power Cord
# Print Head
# Sample Media (PP-201 4″ x 6″/5 Sheets)
1. Wireless printing requires a working Ethernet network with wireless 802.11b/g capability. Wireless performance may vary based on terrain and distance between the printer and wireless network clients.
2. Resolution may vary based on printer driver setting. Color ink droplets can be placed with a horizontal pitch of 1/9600 inch at minimum.
3. Optical resolution is a measure of maximum hardware sampling resolution, based on ISO 14473 standard.
4. For network users, Auto Scan Mode is only available when scanning at a computer using MP Navigator EX software and selecting the 1-click feature then save to PC.
5. USB flash memory with security enabled may not be used. Requires an extension cable if cannot be attached.
6. Compatible memory cards include SD™ Memory Card, SDHC™, MultiMediaCard® , MultiMediaCard® Plus , CompactFlash® Card, Microdrive®, Memory Stick®, Memory Stick PRO™, Memory Stick Duo™ and Memory Stick PRO Duo™. The following can be used with the addition of a special adapter sold separately: miniSD™ Card, miniSDHCTM, microSD™ Card, microSDHC™, RS-MMC™ , Memory Stick Micro, xD-Picture Card®, xD-Picture Card® (Type M), and xD-Picture Card® (Type H).
7. Requires mobile phone or other device with IrDA port positioned no more than 7.9 inches from the printer.
8. Requires mobile phone (or other device) equipped with Bluetooth v2.0 technology and optional Canon Bluetooth Unit BU-30. Bluetooth operation depends on the device and software version used. Operating distance is approx. 10 meters but may vary due to obstacles, radio signals, locations where radio interference occurs, magnetic fields from microwave ovens, device sensitivity and/or antenna performance.
9. ISO/IEC 24734, 24735 define the default print and copy speed measurement methods. Print speeds are the averages of ESAT in Office Category Test for the default simplex mode, ISO/IEC 24734, excluding time to print the first set. Copy speed is the average of FCOT, ISO/IEC 24735 Annex D. ADF copy speed is the average of ESAT in General Performance Test for the default simplex mode, ISO/IEC 24735, excluding time to copy the first set. See our www.usa.canon.com/ipm for additional details.
10. Print speed measured as soon as first page begins to feed into printer. Copy speed is measured after the first page is ejected. Output speed will vary depending upon a number of factors. See www.usa.canon.com/printspeed for additional details.
11. Based on accelerated testing by Canon in dark storage under controlled temperature, humidity and gas conditions, simulating storage in an album with plastic sleeves. Canon cannot guarantee the longevity of prints; results may vary depending on printed image, drying time, display/storage conditions, and environmental factors. See www.usa.canon.com/chromalife100plus for additional details.
12. Supported paper types for borderless printing are as follows: Photo Paper Pro Platinum, Photo Paper Pro II, Photo Paper Plus Glossy II, Photo Paper Plus Semi-gloss, Photo Paper Glossy and Matte Photo Paper.
13. Requires mobile phone equipped with PictBridge technology and a USB cable.