Last updated (12 April’13):
- Review by ePhotozine
The Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM features 400mm at focal length with maximum aperture of F/2.8. The lens construction has 17 elements in 13 groups and has diagonal angle of view at 6.2 degrees. Focus adjustment: Inner focusing system with USM, Closest focusing distance at 3m/9.8 ft and has a filter size of 52mm. The Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM lens weighs 11.9 ounces and it measures 6.4 inches in diameter and 1 feet long.
Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Reviews
Ephotozine reviews the Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM and writes;
“There is a huge amount of high quality glass in this lens, accounting for most of the weight. One fluorite and two UD elements are used to help control secondary spectrum. Suffice to say that, with everything taken into account, contrast, distortion, CA, OOF highlights etc, this lens produced excellent results.”
The-digital-picture reviews the Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM and writes;
“IS is excellent for many other situations the 400 f/2.8 might be useful for – such as wildlife photography. Wildlife tends to be most active in the low-light hours of the day. The 400 f/2.8 IS’s wide aperture, long focal length and IS make it an excellent wildlife lens.”
Photodo reviews the Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM and writes;
” At f/2.8, it is a fast lens for its length and works ideally indoors under lights at such events as fashion shoots as well as on the touchline or a fast bend. It also combines well with Canon’s teleconverter range, still giving autofocus with the 2x.”
Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Sample Photos
- Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Sample Photos @ Mylensdb.com
- Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Sample Photos @ Flickr.com
- Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Sample Photos @ Pbase.com
- Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Sample Photos @ The-digital-picture.com
- Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Sample Photos @ Amazon.com
Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM User Manual
- Download Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM User Manual (PDF – 1.1Mb)
Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Specifications
Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Super Telephoto Lens Features
* High-performance L-series super-telephoto lens series with built-in dual-mode Image Stabilizer (IS) function.
* Ultra-high image quality through new optical designs with Fluorite and UD Glass.
* World’s highest AF speed with improved Ring USM (Ultrasonic Motor) and new algorithms for focus prediction with moving subjects.
* Magnesium alloy lens barrels for reduced weight & rugged reliability.
Super telephoto L-series lens with an Image Stabilizer for use in track and field sports as well as low-light nature and wildlife photography. The fluorite element and two UD-glass elements result in high resolution and high contrast. The ring USM and an improved AF drive algorithm make the AF speed the fastest in the world when used with the EOS-1v and EOS-3. This lens has the same AF stop and focus preset features as the EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM.
See also: Canon Lenses | Lens Reviews